Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bratan
    • Mar 2012

Power Bright inverter?

I'm planning to buy 500-600 Watt inverter to use with small solar backup system (100W panel, 125aH battery). Not really sure which are good brands of Inverters out there. Seems like Go Power is really good, but a little over my budget (I need something under $200). Is Power Bright a quality brand? There are bunch of reviews on Amazon (mostly great) but I wanted to ask here if anyone used it. Or maybe there are alternative recommendations?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bratan
    I'm planning to buy 500-600 Watt inverter to use with small solar backup system (100W panel, 125aH battery). Not really sure which are good brands of Inverters out there. Seems like Go Power is really good, but a little over my budget (I need something under $200). Is Power Bright a quality brand? There are bunch of reviews on Amazon (mostly great) but I wanted to ask here if anyone used it. Or maybe there are alternative recommendations?
    A 500 or 600 watt inverter is too big for your 125Ah battery and can easily drain it. You should be looking at something around 200 watts. The other question is what are you trying to run with the inverter?

Most of the low cost ones are Modified Sine Wave type. Some electronics and motors (fans, frig, etc.) do not work well with Mod Sine Wave and require a True Sine Wave type inverter. They are much more expensive but will not hurt sensitive electronics and motors.

Comment

• Bratan
      • Mar 2012

Thanks! I plan to run one or two 30Watt LED lights and charge phone/tablet/laptop if needed. I actually went ahead and ordered Power Bright APS600 (it's pure sine wave). So 200Watt is my limit huh? Oh well, better have some room for upgrade then

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bratan
        Thanks! I plan to run one or two 30Watt LED lights and charge phone/tablet/laptop if needed. I actually went ahead and ordered Power Bright APS600 (it's pure sine wave). So 200Watt is my limit huh? Oh well, better have some room for upgrade then
        Based on a 125Ah 12volt battery you can "safely" get about 375 watt hours out of it daily. That is about a 25% discharge. Whatever you take out needs to go back so that 100 watt panel needs a good 4 or more hours of useful sunlight. If it gets less sunlight then you have to use less than the 375 watt hours. If you don't you will go into a cycle of not charging the battery back up which will eventually gets you a dead battery.

The 200 watt is not a "limit" but a guide line. It is just a good way to keep from draining your battery. You can use a larger inverter but it may not be efficient and actually drain the battery by itself. I own a Xantrex 400w pure sine wave inverter which is connected to my 200Ah battery system. It is a little large for the battery but as long as I keep an eye on the voltage and don't let it get too low I will be ok. Most people just plug in their loads and don't watch the battery until the inverter low voltage cutoff shuts it down. By then the battery has been severely discharged. Do that a couple of times and you will need to replace the battery.

Comment

Working...