Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lockdownx99
    • Aug 2014

Just need help to get started!

Im looking at getting a Renogy 100w kit on amazon just to get my toes wet. Its inexpensive enough that if I mess something up, I won't be too upset. I would like to know what size battery I should get to charge it with? the panel itself is rated at 100w, 5.62 amps and the charge controller is 30 amps. here is a link to the exact one!

I went into advance auto today to look at deep cycle batteries but have no clue if I should be concerned with cold cranking amps or what! could someone point me in a good direction?

I plan on just tinkering with this one. I plan to add a power converter of maybe 300-500 watts and just charge my cell phones and laptops and iPads while camping. I figured if I could tinker with this one long enough to get the idea of whats actually going on, I can upgrade and add panels later on and better charge controllers and other components to maximize my power harvest.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Lockdownx99
    I went into advance auto today to look at deep cycle batteries but have no clue if I should be concerned with cold cranking amps or what! could someone point me in a good direction?
    With few if any exceptions, any battery that lists a CCA value is not a true deep cycle battery. It is at best a hybrid battery that does not have plates as thick and long lasting as an RE battery but does have the ability to deliver a short high current surge. (Although not as well as a true cranking battery either...)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Lockdownx99
      • Aug 2014

Ok. I really have no clue. I just went in and saw that there were 600 cold cranking amps and 750 cranking amps. Its listed as a deep cycle battery with a reserve time of 160 minutes. here is a link:

If this one is not a good choice, would you have a recommendation? like i said, I'm fairly new to this whole solar thing. Im fairly experienced with 12v in general as Ive installed quite a few sound systems and other electrical accessories in cars and trucks. Im not too keen on getting golf cart batteries or anything thats 6 volt and having to wire them up in series or whatever to accomplish my 12v goal. I would prefer to make this as simple as possible with 1 12v battery to eliminate as many variables in my quest to learn. Maybe later I can build a battery bank consisting of 6v batteries and achieving 24v systems but right now thats just kind of over my head. I would like to stick with what I'm most familiar with. thanks a bunch for the help and patience. I know how it is to have a new guy thats clueless asking some of the most basic questions. You just want to grab him by the neck and yell "WHY DONT YOU GET IT MAN????" lol. thanks again.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Ok. I really have no clue. I just went in and saw that there were 600 cold cranking amps and 750 cranking amps. Its listed as a deep cycle battery with a reserve time of 160 minutes. here is a link:

If this one is not a good choice, would you have a recommendation? like i said, I'm fairly new to this whole solar thing. Im fairly experienced with 12v in general as Ive installed quite a few sound systems and other electrical accessories in cars and trucks. Im not too keen on getting golf cart batteries or anything thats 6 volt and having to wire them up in series or whatever to accomplish my 12v goal. I would prefer to make this as simple as possible with 1 12v battery to eliminate as many variables in my quest to learn. Maybe later I can build a battery bank consisting of 6v batteries and achieving 24v systems but right now thats just kind of over my head. I would like to stick with what I'm most familiar with. thanks a bunch for the help and patience. I know how it is to have a new guy thats clueless asking some of the most basic questions. You just want to grab him by the neck and yell "WHY DONT YOU GET IT MAN????" lol. thanks again.
        Well, one thing you can do if you want to buy locally instead of investigating ordering RE batteries like Trojan or Rolls/Surette, is look at golf cart batteries. These are pretty rugged, deep cycle, and come in 8V and 6V models as well as 12V.
        It is much much better to put several low voltage (even as low as 2V) high amp hour batteries in series to get the combination of volts and AH that you want instead of taking higher voltage batteries and putting them in parallel.
        More than two batteries in parallel, and the more the worse, will cause all sorts of problems with uneven current distribution that will shorten the life of your battery bank.
        And if you want more than about 600W of inverter capacity, you really need to go higher than 12V.
        One 12 volt battery (also possible to find in a golf cart battery, I think??) is not a bad way to go as long as you can find one with the right AH value.

And, I cannot be any stronger than this: regardless of what the CCA value is, just the fact that a CCA value is listed is a sign that it is not a "pure" deep cycle battery.

One last word: there is the point of view that you should not spend too much on your first battery or set of batteries because you will probably kill it quickly while learning how to design and operate your system.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Try checking out an RV place. They usually sell "coach" batteries which are deep cycle. The best way to know that you are getting a "deep cycle" type is to look for an "Amp Hour" rating on the battery. If it has CCA ratings then it is a "starter" battery and will not stand up to multiple deep discharge cycles. An RV "coach" battery" is usually in the 200 to 230Ah range.

I use 6 volt 232 Ah Interstate batteries for my RV and they do a real nice job.

Comment

• Lockdownx99
            • Aug 2014

Ok. So, just for clarification, Even if the battery states it is a deep cycle battery, if it displays cold cranking amps its a cranking battery? just want to be 100% sure I am following you all. Ive seen some that specifically state starting battery and then some that specifically state deep cycle but still have the CCA's on top. What AH should I shoot for as a total? If I took 2 6 volt batteries and wired them in series to achieve my 12v goal, would the amps double also or stay the same? I think from what I've read in other threads that it would stay the same. It only doubles when you wire in parallel right? or maybe I've got some wires crossed (no pun intended) lol.

Basically my goal is This!

-Buy the Renogy 100w panel kit that comes with the cheap 30a charge controller, wires and brackets to mount the panel.
            -Find a battery, or batteries that would together equal a 12v system that I can charge with said solar panel
            -connect my 400w inverter so I can charge my cell phone, as well as iPads, macbook pros, maybe run a small stereo in my trailer while camping.

Does this seem like something I could do? would 100w panel handle this type of thing? I understand its 100w/hour at peak performance (and is not always ideal) and I've only got like 5 hours total sun light a day to work with. the thing I don't really get is the amps portion of this whole equation. I wish i had paid more attention in school!

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

There are hybrid such as marine batteries that list a dual rating.
              These will have a coca rating and a reserve rating which is generally listed as minutes at 25 amps draw
              For your panel most of these will do.
              Particularly if ising a PWM controller
              A reserve of say 200 minutes will be approx a 150 ah battery
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Lockdownx99
                • Aug 2014

thanks for that. i figured it would do, but I'm more of a do it once, do it right type of guy. I quoted a price to my wife including a couple golf cart batteries and she quickly put a stop to my project plans. even with a $130 battery from advance auto, i think ill hold off until i can properly outfit myself. thanks for the heads up guys.

Comment

• jony101
                  • Jun 2014

When I started off i also was undecided what to get. I buy everything off craiglist ie used ie cheap. If your starting out you dont need all new stuff as you learn then you can buy bigger more expensive stuff.
                  I paid 160.00 for a 120 watt kycora panel (it was about 10 years old but still put out over 6 amps) for the battery I also bought a battery on craiglist for 75 dollars it was only a 75 amp hour agm battery but it served my needs. This is plenty to charge laptops, I even ran a 12 volt fridge 24/7 on this setup (barely)
                  If you buy everything new its going to get expensive.
                  Worst case you can find a cheap jump start pack at harbor freight (for 40 dollar on sale) those usually have a 17 amp agm battery and just charge it with your solar panel.
                  For a 100 watt panel you dont need a golf cart battery, I wouldnt really get anything over 100 amp hour. And only buy agm sealed batteries, that way you dont have to worry about putting water in them. I been using agm's for 2 years and never had problems with them.
                  In craiglist I can search right now and find agm batterys as low as 20 dollars (18amp) all the way to 145 amps (for 125 dollars) they even have limited warranties on them. Deals are out there.

Comment

Working...