X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • remnokc
    • Jul 2014

Thoughts on Proposal at $3.47/watt.

PROPOSAL:
    19.6kwSolar Photovoltaic System Installed………….………………………………………………………………...$68,000.0 0
    (70) 280watt Solar World Solar Modules
    Uni-Rac roof secured mounting system
    (2)Fronius IG-Plus 10.0 Inverter system
    (1) DC AC Disconnects
    All Additional Materials
    TOTAL……..….……….. $68,000.00
    Installation includes permits.
  • prhamilton
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2014

That's a monster system. Do you have a Deloran with flux capacitor?

Comment

• radelow
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by prhamilton
      He needs to buy himself a "Mr. Fusion".

On the question of price I got a price of $3.65 per watt for a 4.5 sized system here in San Diego. It would stand to reason your sized system should have some economies of scale so the price doesn't sound great...

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by remnokc
        PROPOSAL:
        19.6kwSolar Photovoltaic System Installed………….………………………………………………………………...$68,000.0 0
        (1) DC AC Disconnects
        All Additional Materials
        TOTAL……..….……….. $68,000.00
        Installation includes permits.
        Either you're proposed system is grossly oversized, the proposed array is WAY off south, or you need a serious energy conservation intervention, or all of that and more. What's your annual usage ?

Comment

• remnokc
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by radelow
          He needs to buy himself a "Mr. Fusion".

On the question of price I got a price of $3.65 per watt for a 4.5 sized system here in San Diego. It would stand to reason your sized system should have some economies of scale so the price doesn't sound great...
          this was my second offer and this installer is about 90 miles from my location -- not sure if logistics is considered part of this price parameters, but I suspect.

the first offer was similarly sized @ $5.07 per watt -- makes me wonder if I am being *high-balled* --

--as for the size of the system - BOTH site analyses contend that I have some shade issues and only predominantly east/west exposures.

You BOTH gave me a smile and I DO appreciate your input!!!

Comment

• remnokc
            • Jul 2014

my average usage is 1345 kwh per month
            solar radiation coefficient is about 3.75 kwh/m²/day

$5.07/watt offer is claiming 107% of Present Usage and
            the 3.47/watt offer is saying 158% of usage
            Last edited by remnokc; 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

• remnokc
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by prhamilton
              and YES, the flux capacitor IS hard to charge with only a 500 gallon fuel oil tank, LOL

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

my average usage is 1345 kwh per month
                solar radiation coefficient is about 3.75 kwh/m²/day

$5.07/watt offer is claiming 107% of Present Usage and
                the 3.47/watt offer is saying 158% of usage
                Why so much overproduction ? On top of that, vendor production est. are usually low. Last I heard, WI had no SREC market. How much do you pay for electricity ? Maybe $5.07/Watt quote was for Sunpower. If you're being highballed, I suspect it may be as much for size as for price, if not more so.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

PROPOSAL:
                  (1) DC AC Disconnects
                  All Additional Materials TOTAL……..….……….. $68,000.00 Installation includes permits.
                  I am just a dozen or so miles south of you, and bought a ground mount system of similar
                  scale for $3.15 a watt. My supplier is 4 miles away. Permits here in NW IL came to $100.

That may seem oversized to some. But we have quite a loss because of constant clouds
                  + overcast, and in the winter there is the snow. I can deal with snow (unwillingly) with my
                  ground mount; that scale on a roof could be another thing. If you can produce enough
                  energy in the other 3 seasons, you just might be able to write off the short days of the
                  snow months altogether.

If you face largely E & W, you may not need quite so much inverter. I have 38% of panels
                  facing E & W, and there is minimal clipping with substantially less Inverter than DC rating.
                  This can be graphed out. With the right panel alignment, you can stretch your SUN HOURS
                  considerably. Find out just how the strings are to be connected.

The other benefit of the stretched sun hour design, is an appreciable increase of energy
                  collected on the more cloudy days. Visit my system & I'll detail it some.

Connecting 20KW of inverter isn't usually simple; did the supplier explain how that would
                  be done? If you should have a surplus, it will be easy to burn off for heat. Having dual
                  inverters, etc will make it easy to spot a fault. My supplier wanted to use a single DC
                  disconnect switch to disconnect only the hot side of each array. But I found good reasons to
                  use dual switches, to disconnect both sides. Bruce Roe, 61084

Comment

• remnokc
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    Why so much overproduction ? On top of that, vendor production est. are usually low. Last I heard, WI had no SREC market. How much do you pay for electricity ? Maybe $5.07/Watt quote was for Sunpower. If you're being highballed, I suspect it may be as much for size as for price, if not more so.
                    my cost for electricity from Alliant Energy (Wisconsin Power and Light) was 13.428¢/kwh last month
                    I am now certain that the $5.07/watt offer was a highball as I spoke with my consultant/contact there today and got the "let me run that price up the ladder" run-a-round when I mentioned the 3.47/w quote.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

my cost for electricity from Alliant Energy (Wisconsin Power and Light) was 13.428¢/kwh last month
                      I am now certain that the $5.07/watt offer was a highball as I spoke with my consultant/contact there today and got the "let me run that price up the ladder" run-a-round when I mentioned the 3.47/w quote.
                      Sorry for seeming stupid, but I'm still trying to get to first base with the idea of buying a system that someone claims will offset 158% of your annual usage without some SREC or other such thing involved.

Comment

• wrlsguy
                        • Jul 2014

this was my second offer and this installer is about 90 miles from my location -- not sure if logistics is considered part of this price parameters, but I suspect.

the first offer was similarly sized @ $5.07 per watt -- makes me wonder if I am being *high-balled* --

--as for the size of the system - BOTH site analyses contend that I have some shade issues and only predominantly east/west exposures.

You BOTH gave me a smile and I DO appreciate your input!!!
                        If you have shade issues, you should consider optimizers or microinverters.
                        4kW DC solar w/microinverters, Chevy Volt

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

optimizers or microinverters

Originally posted by wrlsguy
                          If you have shade issues, you should consider optimizers or microinverters.
                          They should be considered, and the array designed in considerable detail. Optimizers or
                          microinverters may not be very advantageous for every shading issue. In my case there are
                          10 strings, each in a small group. When extreme sun day shadows occur, they will first hit
                          some panels of a string, drastically reducing string output. But at this time of day, the shadow
                          very rapidly covers the rest of the string. The amount of time from partial to most of a string
                          being shaded is short enough, and the energy potential of the remaining panels so reduced,
                          additional hardware isn't justified. This applies to all my strings.

Bruce Roe

Comment

• remnokc
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                            I am just a dozen or so miles south of you, and bought a ground mount system of similar
                            scale for $3.15 a watt. My supplier is 4 miles away. Permits here in NW IL came to $100.

That may seem oversized to some. But we have quite a loss because of constant clouds
                            + overcast, and in the winter there is the snow. I can deal with snow (unwillingly) with my
                            ground mount; that scale on a roof could be another thing. If you can produce enough
                            energy in the other 3 seasons, you just might be able to write off the short days of the
                            snow months altogether.

If you face largely E & W, you may not need quite so much inverter. I have 38% of panels
                            facing E & W, and there is minimal clipping with substantially less Inverter than DC rating.
                            This can be graphed out. With the right panel alignment, you can stretch your SUN HOURS
                            considerably. Find out just how the strings are to be connected.

The other benefit of the stretched sun hour design, is an appreciable increase of energy
                            collected on the more cloudy days. Visit my system & I'll detail it some.

Connecting 20KW of inverter isn't usually simple; did the supplier explain how that would
                            be done? If you should have a surplus, it will be easy to burn off for heat. Having dual
                            inverters, etc will make it easy to spot a fault. My supplier wanted to use a single DC
                            disconnect switch to disconnect only the hot side of each array. But I found good reasons to
                            use dual switches, to disconnect both sides. Bruce Roe, 61084
                            Thank you Mr Roe for your VERY informative and understanding comments - I am right on the Rock River in Beloit just on the east
                            side of US 51(Riverside Dr) but one can hardly see the house b/c of its thicket of trees.

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

PM

Thank you Mr Roe for your VERY informative and understanding comments - I am right on the Rock River in Beloit just on the east
                              side of US 51(Riverside Dr) but one can hardly see the house b/c of its thicket of trees.
                              I sent you a private message. Bruce

Comment

Working...