Panel Racking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your considered reply.

As I mentioned, I am only in the planning stages.

My roof is extremely strong. It is made of 6 X 12 solid wood beams. I work with structural engineers regularly in my work so I don't have much concern for the actual strength of my roof. I have discussed my with some of them and will continue to do so.

You are right about the system moving around if there is an earthquake. I have lived in this part of the country for over 60 years... I know what goes on. There is a level of protection that is necessary but beyond that, the entire building would fall down and then, who cares. Lateral movement during seismic activity is indeed a problem. I was planning on a stainless steel cable system to keep the system in place. Also, there will be rubber pads between the weights and the roofing material. These will minimize any sliding around during minor temblers.

Codes in this area allow for heavy air conditioners to be placed on rubber isolation pads on flat roofs. My plan is similar. However, codes are not my baseline. Many homes here fell down during past quakes that were homes "made to code".

As I do with my work, my system will be severely over engineered.

Where I live, one cannot get away with un-inspected home improvements. I have lived places where nobody cares what you do to your house, but this area is not that way.

I mentioned before that we have many flat roofs in my area. Most commercial installers lean towards ballasted installations in those cases.

I always like to point out that the term "flat roof" will mean different things to different people. We have roofs in this part of the country that are really flat. I mean zero pitch. Basically, if it rains, which it rarely does, the water just falls off wherever it can. That is the case with my roof. The roof is basically designed to "pond" with up to 1/2 inch of water and then it overflows. The final water evaporates. For this reason, I avoid any roof penetration whenever possible. This is why I am beginning with a plan where that will not penetrate my roof at all.

As for my Unistrut frame, my prototype section is only a beginning. I have designed many structures with Unistrut and it is extremely strong. My final frame will be even lower to the surface of the roof than shown. Bruce made a good observation and I responded gratefully.

My original question posted was about clamping solar panels from the "ends" rather than from the "sides". Most all the installations I have seen have used two clamps on each of the long sides. I was wondering if anyone had experience clamping with two clamps on each of the short ends when panels are in portrait mode.

Greg

Comment

It really depends on the panel and how it's designed and built. Some panels specify that you can only clamp on the long side while others say you can clamp on either the short or long side, such as Canadian Solar panels.

Comment

HX_Guy,

Thanks -- This is exactly the type information I was looking for.

I have been looking at Canadian Solar so I will pursue this further and make sure the panels I get meet that requirement.

For both looks and strength, I am trying to keep my panels as low to my roof as possible. This will help in my planning.

Just yesterday I got a flyer with this picture...

This is the first I have seen of side mounting and now getting your information, I have good info to work with.

Is your drawing from Canadian Solar?

Greg

Comment

Yes, it's from the Canadian Solar Module Installation Manual, see here: http://www.civicsolar.com/sites/defa...-ul-154727.pdf

Comment

Great brochure with lots of great information. THANKS!

Are you an owner of Canadian Solar panels? If so, do you believe they make a good panel for a DIY project?

I have just started looking around for panels. There are so many different manufacturers.

Since they are kind of heavy, I guess I should try to find a local distributor to avoid expensive shipping.

Greg

Comment

No, I don't have them but will be using them in my future intall.

Look at Renvu.com, they have the 305W panels for a good price and ship out of California I believe so shipping won't be terrible.

Comment

Working...
              X