X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Nickel Iron Batteries US produced

I notice in this months Home Power that Iron Edison is advertising US manufactured Nickel Iron Batteries. I expect that this may sway some folks into looking into them. Strangely their website doesn't mention it.
    Last edited by Mike90250; 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM. Reason: spellikng correction
  • Sundetective
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by peakbagger
    I notice in this months Home Power that Iron Edison is advertising US manufactured Nickel Iron Batteries. I expect that this may sway some folks into looking into them. Strangely their website doesn't mention it.
    It's a new Nickle Iron fishing expedition right now according to their sales competition that is
    a Company not allowed to advertise in the Home Power Magazine because of legal problems
    from many years ago.

The outfit claiming to have the new Ni-Fe Cells coming is called EXCELL Technology.
    A Florida / Georgia deal with perhaps OverLords from India.
    Old Bill has talked with them.

Other Companies are also looking into handling the batteries if and when it actually happens.
    The new AD does sound good.

When it comes to the Nickle game

'Their All nice -

Long as you keep that electrolyte changed nice and regularly like the oldtimers did.'

Bill Blake
    Last edited by russ; 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM. Reason: link to muppets on you tube removed

Comment

• Sundetective
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sundetective
      It's a new Nickle Iron fishing expedition right now according to their sales competition that is
      a Company not allowed to advertise in the Home Power Magazine because of legal problems
      from many years ago.

The outfit claiming to have the new Ni-Fe Cells coming is called EXCELL Technology.
      A Florida / Georgia deal with perhaps OverLords from India.
      Old Bill has talked with them.

Other Companies are also looking into handling the batteries if and when it actually happens.
      The new AD does sound good.

When it comes to the Nickle game

'Their All nice -

Long as you keep that electrolyte changed nice and regularly like the oldtimers did.'

Bill Blake
      I misspelled their name. Sorry. It's hard to keep up with just how many different Locations and
      different Officers these people actually have.

From what they seem to be saying you can get up to 20 years in Float Mode but better yet

get up to 24.65 years if you runs them into the ground at 80% DOD.

'Changhong and The Electric Indian' better take note and get with it

There is a new story in Town.

Here is a little info from investing.businessweek.com

<Snip>

Encell Technology, Inc. Key Developments

Encell Technology Introduces Atlas 160 Nickel-Iron Battery

Aug 15 13

Encell Technology introduced the Atlas 160 Nickel-Iron battery. The first production of these 160 Ampere-hour, front-terminal, 12 volt rechargeable batteries shipped. This product is designed to replace traditional valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries in demanding microgrid energy storage applications. Microgrid installations, consisting of a standby generator and solar energy panels, are commonly used to ensure continuous, reliable power in environments where utility power is erratic. Batteries in this application are frequently cycled and may undergo deep-discharge cycles. Battery life of VRLAs is severely reduced by sustained deep-discharge cycles.

Typical specifications show reduction from over 5,000 cycles at 20% discharge to just over 500 cycles at 80% discharge.

In contrast, the Encell Atlas 160 NiFe cycle life under similar deep-discharge operating environments approaches 9,000 cycles.

For a typical installation, this extended deep-discharge performance can result in a dramatic reduction in the number of batteries needed without compromising battery life. The Encell Atlas 160 weighs 120 lbs and is packaged in the standard, front terminal configuration with maximum dimensions (5.3 x 22.3 x 13.0 in) similar to comparable VRLAs. High-end temperature ranges for both operation (100 degrees C) and storage (60 degrees C) exceed VRLA specs.

Float charge battery life of the Atlas 160 is up to 20 years -- several times longer than comparable VRLAs.

When energy available over the entire cycle life of a battery is considered, the Atlas 160 product cost is one-tenth that of a lead acid battery with similar name plate capacity.

Encell Technology, Inc. Raises $7 Million in Private Offering

Aug 7 12

Encell Technology, Inc. has raised $7 million out of planned $18.3 million in private offering. National Securities Corporation acted as placement agent to the transaction.

Bill Blake

Comment

• Sundetective
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Energy Storage Journal

While looking into the Encell Technology Story I ran across a download called
        'Ringing The Changes'

Energy Storage Journal the only English magazine serving the fast growing energy storage markets at the intersection of renewables and smart grid technology

Kind of like David and Goliath
        situations and Companies that are not afraid to blow their own horn.

However after the EEStor Story heartbreak old Bill is more careful now before getting
        too excited.

The last I heard (a year ago) the Encell crew was 28 strong and they were using
        1/6th of an old Energizer building
        (30,000 square feet) in the Phoenix Commercial Park
        in Alachua County, Florida.

8 of their employees were elsewhere.

Have no idea how bigtime, how much Brass or how many locations they have today.

As far as the running the Nickle Iron 80% dead (Like it candy) we will have to see.
        Word is 'da chickens are coming home to roost'
        from the last time a Nickle Iron Battery man was preaching about running them
        85% dead so you could buy less capacity.
        Changhong Batteries themselves never ran that garbage on people.
        Naturally they know better.

However this is a new deal so we can hope for the best.
        It would be real nice.

Bill Blake

Comment

• Robert1234
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2012

Sniff, sniff... Smells like venture capitalists (i.e. people making money off of investors). Been almost a year since the hubbub. What distributors are selling these?

Comment

• peakbagger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2010

Notwithstanding the pros and cons of technical and financial reasons for or against Nickel Iron batteries that have been discussed in great detail on this and other message boards in the past, there are some individuals who want these batteries for a prepper scenario or EOTWAWKI situation. Even if they aren't dissuaded, the business model of paying up front to a unknown entity and hoping that a pallet of these batteries arrive at the nearest port and then having to make arrangements to get them picked up and forwarded as well as hoping that the appropriate paperwork is filled out along the way and finally hoping that they weren't damaged at some point along the way is definitely daunting to most. If a more normal US based distribution model makes them as easy to order on a credit card and have them arrive a week later in the back of truck, I expect more might buy them.

Comment

• Sundetective
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

I have no judgments to make but I'm very interested.
              A friend of mine was on the phone for a Long time with Brandon of Iron Edison
              and 'Diamond' John of BeUtilityFree.

Now it's up to 30 years of life at 80% DOD, 11,000 Cycles,

but we need to see the Sandia Report.

Brandon was confronted on the date mentioned by Sandia in their download
              and the lack of substance (so far). How could he not know anything?

I hear the claims. Where is the report ?

Check the Report date and then when they plan on the Encell test.

Typo? Does Encell know where the report is.

Search Google: sandia national laboratories encell technology

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

[PDF]
              Life Cycle Testing and Evaluation of Energy Storage Devices

www.sandia.gov/.../LifeCycleTestingEES.p...

Sandia National Laboratories

Sep 28, 2012 -
              Sandia National Laboratories is a multi-program laboratory managed and operated by
              Sandia Corporation, ... verification of advanced energy technologies for cells to MW systems ...
              Encell: Testing anticipated February 2012.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

There's more .. after all I'm not the King I'm the detective
              but my dinner is on the table so it can wait.

Yes it's Nickel Iron - not Nickle night.
              Give me another year and I'll get it

Bill Blake

Comment

• Sundetective
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Robert1234
                Sniff, sniff... Smells like venture capitalists (i.e. people making money off of investors). Been almost a year since the hubbub. What distributors are selling these?
                Brandon says about 500 batteries were made and sent out as Test Samples but they will NOW be

100 Amp Hours X 12 Volts at around $1000 each. Not 160 Ah as in Atlas 160.

That was at the 100 Hour rate anyway. Larger Cells to come later.

Brandon's 1st deliveries are July 1st. He wants them to be in your home for the Holiday on July 4th.

Don't look for distributors because Brandon says he is the Emperor of Distribution for the whole
                multi-million dollar baby in North America.

You will deals with him or you will not deal.

Now in most cases the Patents have to be Published in 18 months.
                Sandia was talking about the batteries well over 18 months ago now.
                The devils.

The deal reminds me of an old James Brown song
                where he can DO wheelin and he can DO dealin but he don't do no da-n squealin.
                I dares not post a link

There's more to come. This is all brand new territory.
                Nothing Like before.
                No repeat stuff. This is a brand new world. Ready or not.
                Are you ready?

<Snip>

Encell Technology proposes manufacturing facility

By Morgan Watkins
                Staff writer

Published: Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

Encell Technology, a company that designs battery storage and management systems, is exploring the possibility of establishing a manufacturing operation in Alachua County projected to create 167 jobs for workers with a wide range of educational backgrounds and an average salary greater than $70,000.

Facts

Encell Technology:

Product: Rechargeable batteries, etc.
                Proposed location: Phoenix Commercial Park on Highway 441
                Projected job creation: 167 positions
                Average annual salary: $73,770
                Average value of benefits: $15,000

The company already has a research and development laboratory based in the county just outside Alachua,
                as well as locations in Boston and a couple other areas, Chief Financial Officer Chris Maier said.

Founded in 2006, Encell has spent several years and millions of dollars in its quest to build a better battery.

Now that it has developed its rechargeable battery, Maier said, Encell Technology is ready to begin manufacturing the product and plans to begin selling it to a worldwide market sometime next year.

The Alachua County Commission on Tuesday approved Encell's request to participate in the
                Qualified Target Industry program in a 4-1 vote.

This is a tax-refund program that provides incentives for high-wage job creation in targeted industries. The state pays 80 percent of the tax refund while local governments — in this case, Alachua County —
                pay 20 percent of it.

<End Snip>

Bill Blake

Comment

• Sundetective
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

Encell Technology Nickel Iron Battery Wrap-up .. for now

Originally posted by Robert1234
                  I wasn't supposed to be putting any time into this but I became fascinated
                  while falling down the rabbit hole of this whole deal.

To me it really seems too much and I know how excited many of us can be about a new
                  American deal but I'll really have to see something before believing a single word.
                  Hate to see people get hurt. The money is too hard to come by for many.

The bit about Sandia National Labs approval on their Ni-Fe Cells (If it really is Ni-Fe)
                  seems to have quickly been pulled from all their Literature
                  involving this wonder since my main man and myself started looking at it just recently.

Brandon Williams and my friend read it together on the phone as Brandon got the tongue Lashing.
                  I bear-ed witness to it.

Or my eyes got much worse overnight and it's still in their rap but I can't see it now.

I know about their IPO talk. Have it in writing.

I know they just sold their bread and butter.

'Encell Technology sells battery management system assets'

http://bestmag.co.uk/industry-news/encell-technology-sells-battery-management-system-assets[/url]

3 Presidents and so many other Dignitaries for such a little outfit seems a bit much.

I hears there is a Lot of 'musical chairs' going on from high places.

<Snip>

Encell Technology, Inc.

1412 Sachem Place Suite 204 , Charlottesville , VA , 22901 , United States

www.encell.<snip>

Phone: +1 434 975 2355

Revenue: $0M

Industry: Electronic Parts & Equipment

Employees: 1 (Source: Virginia State Corporation Commission)

SIC: Business Services (7300)

NAICS: Business Associations (813910)

2014-04-01 17:25:37

<End of Snip> See the Long List of Dignitaries yourself.

Demandbase is a leader in Account-Based Marketing (ABM) Software, Go-to-Market (GTM) Tools, B2B Advertising Platform, and B2B Data.

That battery being sold today is much smaller than the one they show you on the Encell website
                  and looks like real junk in comparison.

Where is ONE specific fact about that Little Thousand Dollar Bill - each.
                  Or is it Less? i see 2 different prices. Better fix that as well.

Where's the beef?

What's with this Zinc / Manganese job?

'Encell Technology, Inc. patents'

'Encell Technology's Atlas 160 Nickel Iron (NiFe) Batteries Outperform VRLAs

Advanced NiFe battery performance provides exceptional benefits in microgrid applications;
                  battery life extends to thousands of deep discharge cycles; float charge to 20 years'.

<snip>

'Encell's patented techniques streamline the traditional battery manufacturing process,
                  allowing it to provide higher quality batteries at lower costs.
                  Sandia National Laboratory has validated Encell's technology'.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/encell-technologys-atlas-160-nickel-iron-nife-batteries-outperform-vrlas-219751751.html[/url]

It goes on and on and on but that should be enough taste for now.

Their Chief Representative reads this Forum.
                  If old Bill has it wrong just straighten me out in public
                  or just deal with every word for all time.

Bill Blake

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

So is there a battery manufacturing plant in Gainesville or not?

The latest I could find on the web was from March 27, 2014 listing a couple of employee reviews. All other links or news reports (even on the Encell website is from last year).

Comment

• Sundetective
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      So is there a battery manufacturing plant in Gainesville or not?

The latest I could find on the web was from March 27, 2014 listing a couple of employee reviews. All other links or news reports (even on the Encell website is from last year).

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Enc...0,31_IM325.htm
                      SunEagle, They are still in the Phoenix Commercial Park located in Alachua, Florida.

There is plenty of room left in their 179,087 square ft. building C, one of 2 large buildings.

The other large 100,000 square ft. building sounds empty since Bren-Tronics Energy Systems
                      rode out of Town.

Also 2 little mini buildings. One rented and one empty.

This is not the first rodeo for The Greatest Storage Battery Claims

of all time.

Starting to sound like prototype samples of dat battery been around for a while now.

<snip> (From 2010)

CX-004244: Categorical Exclusion Determination

Encell Technology, Inc. - Purchase Equipment to Manufacture Nickel-Iron Batteries
                      for
                      Alternative Energy Applications

CX(s) Applied: B1.24, B1.31, B2.2

Date: 10/18/2010

Location(s): South Boston, Virginia

Office(s): Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory

Encell Technology, Inc. will purchase and install equipment to manufacture nickel-iron batteries inside an existing building (approximately 428,500-square-foot former furniture manufacturing plant).

DOCUMENT(S) AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

CX-004244.pdf

Bill Blake

Comment

Working...