X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wwu123
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2013

7 percent variance in output of each panel from temperature?

How much difference in output do you expect to see in each individual panel in your array? I know there can be variation due to soiling, shading, temperature, manufacturing tolerance, etc. The majority of my panels are within 1-2 W of output from each other when none are shaded. However, I have two that - at the peak of the day - can be typically 5 W lower output than the median, and one that can be 9W higher at the same time. These are 250W panels, so basically at the very peak output range from 205W to 220W simultaneously. At some other times in the day though, they can all be within a watt or two of each other, particularly at dusk and dawn when they all are getting only indirect ambient light exposure.

Interestingly, the three outlier panels are all in one horizontal row in landscape. The big difference is where they are in in proximity to the roof planes. All 16 panels are south-facing, 19 deg slope, and mounted about 5 inches off the asphalt roof. The two low performers are just below a Dutch gable, meaning there is a vertical gable wall about a foot past and above them. I know the framing of the Dutch gable also extends vertically into the attic below, potentially blocking hot attic air from rising to the higher parts of the attic. The bedrooms below get the most sun and are the hottest in the summer typically. The high performer panel is just adjacent, but to the side of the Dutch gable - meaning the roof plane turns 90 deg at a roof hip just beyond it, so it has much less warm roof surrounding it.

The other difference is morning shade, the high performance panel takes an hour longer to come out from tree shading than the lowest performance, same for the surrounding roof area heating up.

I've blown off any leaves, and also hosed down mild dust buildup on the panels. I haven't gone up to scrub them down, but they don't look to have much soiling. (In fact as an experiment I did squeegee with distilled water a couple of other ones down that I could reach with a small ladder, there was no improvement in output compared to ones next to them that I merely hosed down.)
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

What you describe is micro climate temperature variations. Panels at the end of a row will be cooler than those near the center of the row or rows.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wwu123
      How much difference in output do you expect to see in each individual panel in your array? I know there can be variation due to soiling, shading, temperature, manufacturing tolerance, etc. The majority of my panels are within 1-2 W of output from each other when none are shaded. However, I have two that - at the peak of the day - can be typically 5 W lower output than the median, and one that can be 9W higher at the same time. These are 250W panels, so basically at the very peak output range from 205W to 220W simultaneously. At some other times in the day though, they can all be within a watt or two of each other, particularly at dusk and dawn when they all are getting only indirect ambient light exposure.

Interestingly, the three outlier panels are all in one horizontal row in landscape. The big difference is where they are in in proximity to the roof planes. All 16 panels are south-facing, 19 deg slope, and mounted about 5 inches off the asphalt roof. The two low performers are just below a Dutch gable, meaning there is a vertical gable wall about a foot past and above them. I know the framing of the Dutch gable also extends vertically into the attic below, potentially blocking hot attic air from rising to the higher parts of the attic. The bedrooms below get the most sun and are the hottest in the summer typically. The high performer panel is just adjacent, but to the side of the Dutch gable - meaning the roof plane turns 90 deg at a roof hip just beyond it, so it has much less warm roof surrounding it.

The other difference is morning shade, the high performance panel takes an hour longer to come out from tree shading than the lowest performance, same for the surrounding roof area heating up.

I've blown off any leaves, and also hosed down mild dust buildup on the panels. I haven't gone up to scrub them down, but they don't look to have much soiling. (In fact as an experiment I did squeegee with distilled water a couple of other ones down that I could reach with a small ladder, there was no improvement in output compared to ones next to them that I merely hosed down.)
      I don't have micro inverters but I can get to my array and get under it to measure temps with an IR thermometer. Depending mostly on wind, wind direction and irradiance, and some variation as the angle of incidence, individual panel temps. can vary by about 10-15 deg. F. commonly. Array is 4 X4 landscape, 19 deg. elevation, 195 azimuth, little shade. Example: 04/03/2014, 1530 hrs., P.D.T. High panel temp. was about 112 deg. F. Low panel temp. was about 97 deg. F. ave. array temp. was about 104 deg. F. Amb. temp. was 68.7 at the array. Wind from SW at ~2.5 MPH. Horiz. irradiance was 684 W/m^2. As one might expect, temp. increased from east to west and bottom to top quite consistently.

I'd suggest you're situation is the result of local effects due to wind/partial shading and wind sheltering effects.

FWIW, my array output at that time was 3870 W. In plane irradiance ~794 W/m^2 giving an overall system efficiency of about 18.7 % including inverter, wiring and other losses, and also including panel fouling (dirt). Panels are S.P. 327's, 2 strings of 8, upper/lower. Inverter is S.P. 5000. BTW: the top string output was about 20 W less than the bottom string, sort of consistent w/ temp diff. top -bottom.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-19-2014, 08:29 PM. Reason: corrected temp. profile to "east to west"

Comment

• wwu123
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        I don't have micro inverters but I can get to my array and get under it to measure temps with an IR thermometer. Depending mostly on wind, wind direction and irradiance, and some variation as the angle of incidence, individual panel temps. can vary by about 10-15 deg. F. commonly. Array is 4 X4 landscape, 19 deg. elevation, 195 azimuth, little shade. Example: 04/03/2014, 1530 hrs., P.D.T. High panel temp. was about 112 deg. F. Low panel temp. was about 97 deg. F. ave. array temp. was about 104 deg. F. Amb. temp. was 68.7 at the array. Wind from SW at ~2.5 MPH. Horiz. irradiance was 684 W/m^2. As one might expect, temp. increased from west to east and bottom to top quite consistently.

I'd suggest you're situation is the result of local effects due to wind/partial shading and wind sheltering effects.

FWIW, my array output at that time was 3870 W. In plane irradiance ~794 W/m^2 giving an overall system efficiency of about 18.7 % including inverter, wiring and other losses, and also including panel fouling (dirt). Panels are S.P. 327's, 2 strings of 8, upper/lower. Inverter is S.P. 5000. BTW: the top string output was about 20 W less than the bottom string, sort of consistent w/ temp diff. top -bottom.
        Thanks, I think you guys are definitely right. I have an IR thermometer as well, so I'll get up on the roof one day to measure. Shooting a bit roughly from a stepstool, I wasn't able to precisely aim, but I think I'm seeing already a 20 deg F different in temperature between the high and low performer (106 deg vs 85 deg, presently a 12W difference in panel output). The roof beyond the panels also shows a distinct delta in temps about 10 deg cooler beyond the high performing panel.

I think a significant amount is the wind effect, I noticed that high performing panel will probably catch the breeze blowing not just over but also under the panel if the wind is coming from the east or north.

Comment

Working...