X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtpassat
    • Mar 2014

Solar install in RI

Can you give me your thoughts and opinions on this quote?

30x Canadian Solar CS6P-250P
    30x Enphase M215-60-2LL-S22-IG
    Mounting system - Unirac or equivalent

Total installed cost = $31,417.97 = $4.19/w installed

RI Rebate - $1.25/w x 7,500 = $9,375

Cost after rebate = $22,042.97

Is the hardware current or old?
    Cost? Average?
    Anything else I should be asking for?

Thanks in advance
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

That is a bit high for around here for CS poly's and enphase.
    Any particular reason for either? there are other options.
    Any difficult conditions like structural engineering required, steep roof, service upgrade, slate or cedar roof>
    I can only comment about here in Maryland but it is a bit high for my market.
    Get other bids
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

I don't like the use of 215 Enphases with 250 watts panels. Yes the enphase will handle the extra wattages but they will only output 215 watts continuous (225 intermittent). Therefore in cold winter conditions or with snow on the ground reflecting on the panels, the inverters will be "clipping" where the panels are generating more power than the inverters can handle. Many installers seem to go this route, and its most likely the least cost per watt but I would rather have a little headroom on an inverter and getting all the generation I can than running one at or above its max input for periods of time.

Comment

• jtpassat
        • Mar 2014

This is a standard install on a ranch style house. Nothing complicated about it at all. What is the generally accepted "good" price per watt using what technology for panels and inverters?

Comment

• peakbagger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2010

The problem is that although the equipment is standard, the local laws and labor will vary. In some areas, only electricians are allowed to install the racking and panels while in other places, the electrician makes the final tie in and the contractor can go down to the local corner and hire day laborers. Obviously the cost of labor will vary significantly between these two extremes.

The local inspector may requires signed and stamped drawings from a structural and electrical PE or they may not.

With 7500 watts of panels you may need a line size tap if you have a 100 amp panel. Are you running conduit through the house or down the side of the house? Through the house costs more but to some the exterior conduit is ugly.

Will your inspector require a roof mounted disconnect?

Do you need a wall mounted disconnect (rare these days but still required in some areas)

How about a dedicated production meter? Yes I know you are buying an Enphase but to sell SRECs you may need a dedicated utility grade meter.

You didn't specify roofing type, the racking price stays the same but the attachment system will vary and some systems are more expensive than others. Alternatively the contract can use the drill and goop method and skip a pre-engineered flash in attachment system and plan to be out of business when the drill and goop method inevitably leaks. Many folks get confused, generally the racking companies do not supply the mounting attachment to the roof, their system bolts to a engineered flashed mount. Quickmount PV is popular with asphalt shingles

Wire management - Some folks just tywrap or tape the wires to the racking, others buy optional clips for racking systems or other engineered ways of routing wires.

All these things can swing the pricing a dollar a watt one way or another.

Comment

• jtpassat
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by peakbagger
            The local inspector may requires signed and stamped drawings from a structural and electrical PE or they may not.

With 7500 watts of panels you may need a line size tap if you have a 100 amp panel. Are you running conduit through the house or down the side of the house? Through the house costs more but to some the exterior conduit is ugly.

Not sure, I will have to ask

Will your inspector require a roof mounted disconnect?

[B]Need to find out[B]

Do you need a wall mounted disconnect (rare these days but still required in some areas)

Need to find out

How about a dedicated production meter? Yes I know you are buying an Enphase but to sell SRECs you may need a dedicated utility grade meter.

RI doesn't have an SRECS program, I wish but unfortunately no

You didn't specify roofing type, the racking price stays the same but the attachment system will vary and some systems are more expensive than others. Alternatively the contract can use the drill and goop method and skip a pre-engineered flash in attachment system and plan to be out of business when the drill and goop method inevitably leaks. Many folks get confused, generally the racking companies do not supply the mounting attachment to the roof, their system bolts to a engineered flashed mount. Quickmount PV is popular with asphalt shingles

Asphalt shingles, need to find out the details of the mounting method though

Wire management - Some folks just tywrap or tape the wires to the racking, others buy optional clips for racking systems or other engineered ways of routing wires.

Good point, need to find out

All these things can swing the pricing a dollar a watt one way or another.
            Great points that I haven't thought of, thanks and I'll be asking these questions

Comment

• jtpassat
              • Mar 2014

Got the original price down to $29,158.59 before rebates. So the 7500w system would be $3.89w

Comment

• itnetpro
                • Oct 2013

I live In PA and did 40 CS6P-250P mated to 40 215w Enphase at $3.60 per watt. My company does installations in your area and has fantastic warranty coverage as well that includes they will pay to move your panels if you move and pay to remove and replace you panels if you need a new roof. They are also all company employees no sub contractors. That was most important to me. Private IM me if U want to know who I used.

John

Originally posted by jtpassat
                Can you give me your thoughts and opinions on this quote?

30x Canadian Solar CS6P-250P
                30x Enphase M215-60-2LL-S22-IG
                Mounting system - Unirac or equivalent

Total installed cost = $31,417.97 = $4.19/w installed

RI Rebate - $1.25/w x 7,500 = $9,375

Cost after rebate = $22,042.97

Is the hardware current or old?
                Cost? Average?
                Anything else I should be asking for?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• itnetpro
                  • Oct 2013

Not 225w Intermittent 225w MAX period. After spending time with these panels and the 215w clipping at 225w during snow days and some winter/spring months I also had some concerns. Then I ran some numbers based on some data another local resident is running same off with 250w for about a year and I'm fairly convinced the 250W would at best break even for additional cost from the seasonal clipping. If owned for 20 years. If panel degrade is calculated in then based on my numbers the additional cost of the 250w would not actually pay for themselves within 20 years. My installer was right. I still think I would have wasted my money and went with the 250w just for peace of mind if I did it all over again but now I have a local neighbor within a few miles of my home with the same panels 250w micro inverters I will continue to do compares over time to understand just how much the CS6P degrades over time to come to a final conclusion. Oh by the way, for the folks who saw my post about regrets with the 215w clipping I have not experienced any more then 15 minutes or so clipping at most since that post back on March 23rd so I think I over reacted.

John

Originally posted by peakbagger
                  I don't like the use of 215 Enphases with 250 watts panels. Yes the enphase will handle the extra wattages but they will only output 215 watts continuous (225 intermittent). Therefore in cold winter conditions or with snow on the ground reflecting on the panels, the inverters will be "clipping" where the panels are generating more power than the inverters can handle. Many installers seem to go this route, and its most likely the least cost per watt but I would rather have a little headroom on an inverter and getting all the generation I can than running one at or above its max input for periods of time.

Comment

• jtpassat
                    • Mar 2014

I don't have the post count to PM. Can you PM me with the info?

Originally posted by itnetpro
                    I live In PA and did 40 CS6P-250P mated to 40 215w Enphase at $3.60 per watt. My company does installations in your area and has fantastic warranty coverage as well that includes they will pay to move your panels if you move and pay to remove and replace you panels if you need a new roof. They are also all company employees no sub contractors. That was most important to me. Private IM me if U want to know who I used.

John

Comment

• jtpassat
                      • Mar 2014

so from the original quote I was able to get it down to the following

24 - 250 - Canadian Solar Panels
                      24 - Emphase microinverters

6000w = $21,6000

3.60 per watt

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jtpassat
                        so from the original quote I was able to get it down to the following

24 - 250 - Canadian Solar Panels
                        24 - Emphase microinverters

6000w = $21,6000

3.60 per watt
                        Doesn't sound too bad if $3.60before incentives.

Comment

• jtpassat
                          • Mar 2014

yes - $3.60 before incentives. took 1 round of "can you give me a better price" and then a "xyz solar gave me this price, can you come close?" which started at $4.18w, then to $3.89 and finally to $3.60.

Comment

• peakbagger
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2010

If its reputable contractor with good references and you have a good contract that spells out the details, looks like you arent going to do much better.

Comment

Working...