X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Itsme
    • Jan 2014

Looking for price sanity check in San Jose

Pls help with price sanity check in San Jose. System cost is about $18K (before any fed credits)

22 REC Solar REC-260-PE (5.72 kw)
    1 SMA Sunny Boy 5000 TL-US

Many thanks
  • silversaver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

The price is good for your area.

Comment

• Itsme
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
      The price is good for your area.
      Thanks

Anyone from the Bay area want to share their $/kw pls?

Thanks

Comment

• slopoke
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Itsme
        Thanks

Anyone from the Bay area want to share their $/kw pls?

Thanks
        I'm in Livermore and having 23 LG-300 watt panels with Enphase micro inverters installed tomorrow. Price before incentives is $3.75 a watt.

Comment

• Itsme
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by slopoke
          I'm in Livermore and having 23 LG-300 watt panels with Enphase micro inverters installed tomorrow. Price before incentives is $3.75 a watt.
          Thanks slopoke

Comment

• advan24r
            • Dec 2013

Mines a smaller system...11 panels of LG 300 W panels 3.3kw system. I'm in Fremont.

$4.24/kw

After incentives

$3/kw

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Itsme
              Pls help with price sanity check in San Jose. System cost is about $18K (before any fed credits)

22 REC Solar REC-260-PE (5.72 kw)
              1 SMA Sunny Boy 5000 TL-US

Many thanks
              Check the CSI data base. Money may be used up but wait list additions may still be possible and thus currently listed. Slopoke seems to have done well.

Comment

• Rubenmad
                • Apr 2014

Bay Area Installers

Originally posted by slopoke
                Hi Slopoke, it seems like you got a great deal! I can't seem to find anyone that can install under $4.75 a watt. Do you mind sending me a PM an providing your installer's information?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• JCP
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Rubenmad
                  Hi Slopoke, it seems like you got a great deal! I can't seem to find anyone that can install under $4.75 a watt. Do you mind sending me a PM an providing your installer's information?

Thanks in advance!
                  In Fremont, I'm getting $3.79 a Watt before incentives for 4 KW (Solarworld and Enphase inverters). So, the OP price seems very good. Of course, the price is also a function of the type of panel you're getting (the more efficient, the pricier).

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JCP
                    In Fremont, I'm getting $3.79 a Watt before incentives for 4 KW (Solarworld and Enphase inverters). So, the OP price seems very good. Of course, the price is also a function of the type of panel you're getting (the more efficient, the pricier).
                    I'd respectfully suggest adding "area" in front of "efficient" in the above. Equal electrical size systems in similar location, orientation and service will produce about equal annual output. Reducing the footprint for any size system is what costs $$'s and may be necessary is space is limited.

Comment

• JCP
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                      I'd respectfully suggest adding "area" in front of "efficient" in the above. Equal electrical size systems in similar location, orientation and service will produce about equal annual output. Reducing the footprint for any size system is what costs $$'s and may be necessary is space is limited.
                      Indeed, the more Watts per panel, the higher the $/W, or so it seems to me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JCP
                        I'd suggest that's because S.P. panels (primarily) are usually higher Wattage than other panels of the same physical size - about 1.64 m^2, and a lot more $$'s per Watt. The old S.P. 240's for example were always more expensive by 20-25% than other panels of similar Wattage/panel. They were physically smaller for about the same output/panel. Equal (electrical) size systems in the same location, orientation and service produce about the same initial yearly output. It's not Watts per panel that is really important - it's output per nameplate Watt, or $$'s/yr. of electric bill offset/nameplate Watt. Increased area efficiency has a (relatively) small advantage due to reduced racking and perhaps wiring cost reductions, and a bit less labor,freight and handling but that is more than offset by higher cost per nameplate Watt for gold plated stuff like S.P.

I realize these are anecdotal prices/situations, but I believe they're representative: One poster here recently bought LG300's for $3.75/Watt. I know of a neighbor of mine who paid $3.65/Watt for LG260's about 6 month's ago. Looks like less/Watt for the 300's. Best price around here for S.P. seems about $4.50/Watt for the 327's. All 3 panels are about 1.64 M^2.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by JCP
                          Just to keep the discussion on an even semantic keel, I would change that to " the more Watts per panel of a given size...."

Physically small panels tend to have a cost per watt much higher than larger panels from any manufacturer.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ward L
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2014

Costco Deal

I bought a 10k installed system through Costco for $3.85/W after taxes and before incentives. I live in SoCal. I am on the wait list for SCE payment of about $1,636. I don't understand the "wait list", but it is supposed to only delay the payment (he says hopefully...). I maxed out my Costco executive rebate of $500, but I usually only get about $120 back. I was able to put the $24k Grape Solar equipment purchase on my AmEx card. Not sure why because it was over my credit limit!

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Ward L
                              I was able to put the $24k Grape Solar equipment purchase on my AmEx card. Not sure why because it was over my credit limit!
                              I thought that one of the touted advantages of AmEx is that they are flexible about the credit limit (especially for vendors like Costco that they have a special relationship with.)
                              But you are still expected to pay it off promptly.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...