X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisp1211
    • Jan 2010

Great info here

Originally posted by SolarCanoe
    I decided to go old-school with my monitoring meters. Sort of like and old fighter aircraft cockpit style.

I'm thinking I monitor current from the solar panels, probably after the charge controller, the battery voltage and current, and the load current. The battery amp meter will need to be a +/- type. Then I will need some switches. I am assuming I will find a way to use linear actuators to extend/retract the pontoons, raise & lower the motor, and raise and lower a pair of wheels. I am also thinking some LED rope lights around the canopy would be a cool touch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3245[/ATTACH]

Is there any point in monitoring the Solar Panel voltage?

I am also thinking that I will have an LED per panel so that I can see that they are working. These will be up under the canopy not on the instrument panel.

At some point I want to remove the tiller/controller unit from the top of the trolling motor shaft and mount it in front of me. I will use some sort of cable linkage to turn the motor. Recently I had to do some plumbing with PEX tubing and I think I could use it to guide the steering cables instead of a bunch of pulleys. The PEX tubing is stiff but bendable so I think it would work well to guide the steering cable from the front mounted tiller/controller to arms mounted on the vertical motor shaft.

YES the plot thickens!
    Glad I found this post

Comment

• t8rh8r
      • Jan 2015

New member appreciates

Just wanted to say that this is very inspiring, so much so that I joined this forum specifically to see the pictures of this build in progress. Here goes!

Comment

• pnut
        • Jan 2015

Nice

I am very interested in doing something like this.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by pnut
          I am very interested in doing something like this.
          Welcome to Solar Panel Talk, pnut!

Keep reading and float your ideas before you start to buy or build.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sleeman
            • Feb 2015

Thanks

Hey guys I just needed to post so I could view images. I have read through the forum and have enjoyed watching the progress. Thanks for all the great ideas

Comment

• SolarCanoe
              • Sep 2013

Once the new house is under control . . . .

It's been a hectic winter so far and there is no sign of things letting up for a few more months. Once we get this condo sold and move to the new house, we have a couple more months of renovations. Unfortunately that means I can't get working on my next generation solar boat until mid summer. Luckily we will be able to enjoy the trial solar canoe we had at the cottage last fall.

IMG_0465_1080p.jpgIMG_0466_1080p.jpgIMG_0469_1080p.jpg

I can't think of a more ideal place for solar boating and kayaking than a slow moving river that gives access to a chain of small Canadian Shield lakes. Here are some photos of the backyard water access we will have at the new house:

14610235_5.jpg14610235_20.jpg
              14610235_24.jpg14610235_25.jpg

I can't wait to get back to the new build using these gorgeous pontoons:

DCP02744.JPG

The first they need is a good epoxy paint job. Any suggestions for color?
              Attached Files

Comment

• TomCat58
                • Jun 2013

I am look forward to seeing your new build. I will be doing some changes to my solar canoe also. Not a new build like you but a major addition.

Tommy
                Serenity Solar Canoe

Comment

• Pelleplutt100
                  • Mar 2015

Now I also want to build one....

Going to read the complete tread now in hope to get some learnings before project start.
                  I have and old sailing trimaran hull that could be a good starting platform.

Comment

• TomCat58
                    • Jun 2013

Welcome to this thread,

I hope you can find some ideas that will help you in your solar boat build. A few of us continue to improve our canoe/boats and for solar systems you are in the right place. But our day to day postings about anything from trailers, canoes, wiring systems and any others items including lake outings is mostly posted on a little yahoo group forum.

Come and join us if you want more info on little solar boats

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

New videos and pictures posted weekly:

Tommy

Comment

• TomCat58
                      • Jun 2013

Solar Wings Serenity Canoe

I did some testing on the lake the other day with full sun this time. The new slide out wings worked out really nice. I liked my original design and with the slide outs I was able to add 200 watts more to my system without taking up space in the canoe. Have a look at a few more pictures and a short video cruising on a local lake.

As always feed back and new ideas are most welcome

Tommy
                      Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neXoylRmvwQ

3 Solar Panels.JPGbuilding slide out solar wings Re.jpgSolar Wings in slide in position - re.jpgSolar Wings extended out. - re.jpglaunching canoe to test new solar wings - re.jpg

Comment

• Dimitri
                        • Jun 2015

Very nice project!

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by Dimitri
                          Very nice project!
                          Hello Dimitri and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
                          You can introduce yourself to us with more information about yourself in the "New members introduce yourselves" topic area.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• TomCat58
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Dimitri
                            Very nice project!
                            Dimitri, Solar Panel Talk is most likely the top forum around for solar information but a few of use are posting about small boats and it didn't seem to fit well in this forum. So if you or anyone wants to join in and follow along on our builds and adventures of little solar boats, We can be found at a yahoo group forum.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Tommy
                            Serenity Solar Canoe

Comment

• noviasolar
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SolarCanoe
                              Hello All!

I am in the early stages of putting together an electric boat. I have searched the net to get some answers to questions I have but I am still not sure I am on the right track. I am an electronics technologist so I do understand the basics of Ohm's Law etc. I finally decided I would have to join a forum and outline my plans and get some feedback on my plans so far.

Background Info: My wife and I purchased a trailer in a seasonal campground and now have access to a very nice lake to go canoing on. We have a little 12 ft canoe that has been in the garage for 15 or more years. While we liked the opportunity to spend some time on the water we found the canoe less stable than we remember and decided to make some sort of outriggers. While researching that I ran across examples of people using trolling motors to power their canoes. Thus began this new project.

My plan is to make a very light weight canopy to keep the sun off of us, so naturally I started looking into solar panels. Long story short, I made a very low offer for 8 50 watt semi-flexible solar panels off of ebay and much to my surprise it was accepted so now I have 400 watts worth of solar panels for my canopy.

I plan to get a Minn Kota Enduro Max 40 trolling motor. It can produce 40 lbs of thrust and given 1 amp per lb thrust could draw as much as 40 amps full out. The current drops off quite quickly and at more moderate speeds will be down around 10 amps or less. This motor employs a maximizer circuit (ie, PWM) speed control that can extend battery life significantly over a conventional speed control on lower speeds. At full speed the currentt draw is the same.

I have found a 40 amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller on ebay, Tracer 4210RN, that is rated at 40 amp maximum battery current and 20 amps maximum load current. This does not seem like it is adequate since the motor can draw up to 40 amps and the max load current is only 20 amps.

I have also found some nice retro round analog amp and volt meters on ebay. I thought I would go for a nostalgic aircraft cockpit look and have an amp meter on the solar panels, battery, and load. The battery meter will have to be a +/- 0-50A meter and the other two can be 0-50. I know I probably don't need 50A range but the next range down is 20 amp which is probably too low. I would also add three voltmeters.

Equipment Summary:

Solar Panels 400 watts (8 x 50 watt).

Minn Kota Enduro Max 40 Trolling Motor (40 lbs thrust, max 40 amps).

Tracer 4210RN 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller.

Some retro round meters to monitor current draw and voltages.

My Questions:

1. I have already ordered the solar panels. 8 50 watt panels. I decided to go this way so that a panel failure represents less of the total. Vm=18V Im=2.78A (Voc=22.19 Isc=3A). Should I simply connect them all in parallel, or would there be an advantage in connecting them as 4 groups of 2 in series then all the groups in parallel to up the Vm to 36V? If I stick with the 18v parallel arrangement will a regular charge controller be almost as good as a MPPT type?

2. Should I connect the trolling motor to the battery or the load connectors on the charge controller. If the motor is connected to the battery will the panels supply current to the motor once the battery is dead? If the battery is fully charged and the solar panels can supply enough current to drive the motor will the battery remain unused until the solar panel power drops due to a lack of sunlight? Should I try to find a charge controller that can handle a 40 amp load?

3. Give the overkill of solar panels I am thinking I won't need a very large battery, maybe a 75 Amp Hour deep cycle battery would be enough. Assuming a battery rated at 75 AH is really only good for about 40 amp hours and that I would keep the motor current under 20 amps I assume that gives us about two hours to get home if we stay out after dark. Are these reasonable assumptions?

4. I'm sure I have forgotten something so please bring anything else I should consider to my attention.

Thanks in advance for any answers and comments

Todd
                              400W Monocrystalline Boat Kit 12V may be a suggestion for your Boat project. will be more simple and easy process.

Comment

• SolarCanoe
                                • Sep 2013

Back in the water again!

I had to take some time off from the solar boat project while we moved to a home in the country with a waterway running through the back yard. I have the solar canoe back in the water and I have started to put more thought into the bigger catamaran project. I have 1280 watts worth of solar panels that will make a canopy about 14 ft long and 7 ft wide. I have two 55 pound thrust trolling motors to mount on the back of the pontoons. I plan to bow mount a 45 pound thrust motor. There are some tricky passages between some of the lakes so the bow mounted motor will allow me to stand at the bow to navigate through the rocks.

I have three 160 watt panels that will form the center section of the canopy for the catamaran, but in the meantime I am going to mount them on the canoe canopy to replace the 200 watt folding panels I have been using. This should give me 10 or more amps of solar power alone. I also ordered one of the Kipawa Propellers to see if I can get more speed out of the 45 pound thrust motor.

So the adventure will resume and I will post some photos and results of upgrading the panels and prop.

Comment

Working...