is it possible to have solar and grid power to charge batteries at same time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treich
    • Jul 2013

is it possible to have solar and grid power to charge batteries at same time?

Hi Guys
    I am an newbie here and I have an question I am just wondering if there is way to have 1 or 2 solar panels and have power plugged in from utility side to charge batteries then have my devices plugged into it?
  • Robert1234
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2012

Why? Possible, yes - but it will not be cost effective.

You can use an inverter / charger that will keep batteries charged and permit pass thru power - and hook up a solar charger to the batts. For the most part, the batts and solar charger will just sit there.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Batteries can be charged from several sources at the same time. Winter mornings I use what sun there is via the solar charge controller, and the generator charges via the inverters' integral charger.

What size are your loads, and how critical are they ? Can one charger keep up ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• noshali
        • May 2013

yes you can and I do it. But it is not feasible like stated. I use a external output in the charge controller to control this. I switch off commercial power at 9am and turn it back on at 5pm. In the meantime if the batteries drain to 50% then the external output on the charge controller turns on the commercial power.

Comment

Working...