Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smw
    • May 2013

Pressure relief valve?

Greetings, everyone. I have a two-panel glycol based system. It was installed by a company (now out of business, naturally) that apparently didn't know what they were doing. They installed Taco pressure relief valves (looks like a 3/8" fitting) at the top of each panel. Unfortunately, these valves were not designed for outdoor use (or maybe the glycol is the problem) and they are now both leaking, depressurizing my system. Anyone have any recommendations for replacement valves that will last? I'd much prefer to get something that will screw into the existing fitting, since sweating new pipe up there would make it a much larger project.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Strange that they installed the relief on top of the panels. If the piping is done correctly there is no need to have the releif valves outside, anywhere on the loop is okay. Installers used to install air vents on the high point of the system and they have the reputation of leaking. Many repair folks take them out and hope that their charge pump can force the air out of the system. Sometimes leaking relief valves are a symptom of a expansion tank that has lost its bladder and is water bound. If you have the system drained, you may want to give the expansion tank a good look over.

Comment

• smw
      • May 2013

Yes, you're right, they're probably air vents. Too late to change the thread title, I guess.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Working...