X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by DanS26
    Agree. But are not those taxes relative to the underlying price of the fuel? Thus a 300% tax is going to drive the final consumer price to the same relative position.
    In th eUSA Federal Gasoline tax is fixed @ $0.184/gallon, and for diesel is fixed at $0.244/gal.

In addition the states add on their fixed rate per gallon which varies state from state to as low as $0.08/gal in Alaska, and as high as $0.506/gal in New York. The national average including both Fed and state is $0.48/gal.

In some cities, not many, but the names escape me at the moment add on local sales tax which is a percentage of the total sales minus fed and state fixed taxes.

Right now in the USA as I speak Unleaded Gasoline (RBOB) sells for roughly $2.71/gallon in the USA.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
      In th eUSA Federal Gasoline tax is fixed @ $0.184/gallon, and for diesel is fixed at $0.244/gal.

In addition the states add on their fixed rate per gallon which varies state from state to as low as $0.08/gal in Alaska, and as high as $0.506/gal in New York. The national average including both Fed and state is $0.48/gal.

In some cities, not many, but the names escape me at the moment add on local sales tax which is a percentage of the total sales minus fed and state fixed taxes.

Right now in the USA as I speak Unleaded Gasoline (RBOB) sells for roughly $2.71/gallon in the USA.
      Just did a little research. The duty tax in the UK is around $3.61 per US gal. WOW, compare that to the $0.48 in the US. On top of that the UK imposes a 20% Value Added Tax. So almost $4/gal difference just in taxes imposed between the countries. I suspect refining and transportation costs make up the remaining cost difference.

Well, based on this information, when gas reaches $8/gal in the US the UK will be a reasonable $14 to $15 a gal.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Like I said Dan Euros get soaked and robbed. What is bad they like it. That is why the US kicked the Brits butts out of America for over 200 years ago.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DanS26
          For the past decade $2/gal gas in the US equated to $8/gal gas in the UK. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to equate $8 gas in US to $32 gas in UK. It the same relative price differential.

At $32/gal I think we would see a huge shift in the Euro market.
          The final cost of a liter/gallon of fuel has little to do with the cost of oil and a lot to do with taxes as Sunking pointed out. Your stretch is beyond meaningless and a bit silly - except for spend, spend politicians.

Currency flucuations are another part of the game - the dollar is still losing against the Euro - it will get worse as Treasury buys more dollars - meaning prints more funny money. In the past 15 years the US$ has gone from 80 cents to the Euro the 1.33$ to the Euro - oil is effectively priced in Euros.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...