X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Solar Boom in U.S. Continues

The latest data from last year is in, and although some manufacturers took it in the shins, the boom for solar panel systems continued--big time. GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (yes, we know that there is room for bias, but we will take the findings as they are) just published their findings on the results from last year. According to their report, PV installations increased year over the previous year 76% to a total of 3,313 megawatts. In just one year, 83, 000 homes in the U.S. went solar, bringing the total to more than 300,000 homes throughout the US that have solar panel systems. The report documents the dramatic decline in solar module prices, down 41% in just one year. The sizzling growth is not expected to continue next year, but still the GTM/SEIA research project forecasts a further increase in 2013 of 30%.

More...
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jason
    The latest data from last year is in, and although some manufacturers took it in the shins, the boom for solar panel systems continued--big time. GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (yes, we know that there is room for bias, but we will take the findings as they are) just published their findings on the results from last year. According to their report, PV installations increased year over the previous year 76% to a total of 3,313 megawatts. In just one year, 83, 000 homes in the U.S. went solar, bringing the total to more than 300,000 homes throughout the US that have solar panel systems. The report documents the dramatic decline in solar module prices, down 41% in just one year. The sizzling growth is not expected to continue next year, but still the GTM/SEIA research project forecasts a further increase in 2013 of 30%.

More...
    Jason

Is the source of these panels from companies no longer in business or from currently producing manufacturing plants? I continue to see new projects in the Megawatt range but can't tell where the panels are coming from.

Comment

• rosstaylor
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Jason

More...
      2012 was a historical and also so busy year for the United State solar energy market. PV installations grew seventy six percent over 2011, to total 3,313 MW in the year of 2012, with an estimated market value of $11.5 bn.

Comment

• bonaire
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

A Solar farm can be made up of modules from dozens of vendors, really. From those out of business, warehoused old modules from a variety of firms. A Solar farm can take advantage of bankruptcy sales and so forth and self-warranty their own systems with excess modules stored for replacement should some fail. Much like scavangers mob to estate sales to get a good deal - a lot of solar installations now may be going to fire-sales and buying up .50-.75/Watt modules in large containers. This isn't much of a solar boom but a reaction to market conditions. It isn't sustainable, though, and prices will surely rise once the excess is sopped up.
        PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• Marc Collin
          • May 2013

Solar farms are producing modules from dozens of vendors.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Marc Collin
            Remarkable progress have seen in US regarding Solar trends. Everywhere the demand of Solar systems are increasing due to its long term benefits and quick response. Its best for short scale and large scale setup.
            I hate to tell you but that is a nonsense statement.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Marc Collin
              Solar farms are producing modules from dozens of vendors.
              Care to provide a list of the first dozen of those panel vendors. I would like to see who is still in business as opposed to who is liquidating their stock.

Comment

• KRenn
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Care to provide a list of the first dozen of those panel vendors. I would like to see who is still in business as opposed to who is liquidating their stock.

This, the reality of it is that there's a considerable amount of manufacturers just burning off excess stock to recoup what they can before they go under. A lot of what I'm seeing right now is feeding off of last year's huge explosion, I expect things to come back to earth in much of the U.S. over the next 6-8 months, especially with panel prices not going anywhere but up once the excess supply on the market has been burned through.

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

It has been burned through. I have every vendor I deal with telling me to expect price increases very shortly.
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• KRenn
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Naptown
                    It has been burned through. I have every vendor I deal with telling me to expect price increases very shortly.

Well there you go. I knew sooner or later the prices were going to jump. Does that list include SunPower as well? I ask because they've more or less done their own thing and didn't get as caught up in the price wars.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by KRenn
                      This, the reality of it is that there's a considerable amount of manufacturers just burning off excess stock to recoup what they can before they go under. A lot of what I'm seeing right now is feeding off of last year's huge explosion, I expect things to come back to earth in much of the U.S. over the next 6-8 months, especially with panel prices not going anywhere but up once the excess supply on the market has been burned through.
                      I actually knew that. I wanted Marc Collen to put up or shut up to back his statement that "dozens" of vendors were providing panels for solar farms. I believe he is wrong and was just spouting BS.

There are very few vendors producing panels and as you and others have stated the cost of the new panels will go back up to pre-bankrupt prices.

Comment

Working...