X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Naruto
    • Aug 2021

Question about plugging in a Portable Panel through existing MPPT

Hello all,

I am planning on installing two 120watt "24 volt" panels in parallel on my roof top. These panels are 120W 40.5Voc and 3.7Isc each.

I have a third identical panel that I would like to use as a portable panel occasionally. And when it is deployed, all 3 panels will be in parallel and all feeding into my MPPT charge controller. I want to be sure folks understand this is just a panel and not a solar suitcase with its own built-in controller.

My concern is with plugging in the portable panel. Even if the Circuit Breaker is open, so that the roof top panels are disconnected from the charge controller, there will still be ~40 volts on that connector junction. Will this arc when the portable panel is plugged in? Am I going to char up the connectors over time? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

图片1.png
    Last edited by sdold; 10-18-2021, 09:29 AM. Reason: Removed ad links
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

MC4 connectors are only rated for a dozen or so operations, they are not suitable for repeated plugging/unplugging, and when disconnected, the inner contacts are exposed to the elements and can/will corrode and become a fire hazard. Something else must be used. ( look for an Anderson connector rated for your voltage/amps )

If the breaker is open, there will be no current flow or arcing

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...