X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

What to do with 6V, 4.5Ah AGM batteries

I just had to replace 4 batteries in emergency exit lights/signs.
    They're 4.5Ah, 6V AGM batteries.
    They're only a year or so old, but they weren't able to keep the lights lit for the required 90 minutes.

So - now what do I do with these batteries?

Haven't had any great ideas yet - so unless anyone here has a great idea I'll be taking them to the battery store where they'll (probably) get recycled.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar
    I just had to replace 4 batteries in emergency exit lights/signs.
    They're 4.5Ah, 6V AGM batteries.
    They're only a year or so old, but they weren't able to keep the lights lit for the required 90 minutes.

So - now what do I do with these batteries?

Haven't had any great ideas yet - so unless anyone here has a great idea I'll be taking them to the battery store where they'll (probably) get recycled.
    Old AGM type batteries may not really be good for energy storage when you use them daily with solar. Unfortunately taking them to be recycled is the safest and cleanest option.

Comment

• chrisski
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2020

Charge Cell Phones. The USB Charging devices I've been watching current draw max out at 1 amp / 12 watt with a 12 volt or 1 amp / 24 watts with a 24 volts.

I might make a battery pack for a charger out of that for when I go camping and am sitting outside all day to charge USB devices. I have a plug with a SCC and already build where I could reduce charging amperage to 1 amp to keep the pack from overcharging.

Other than a low wattage thing like that, I have nothing. That would also be a lot of work if that solar generator was not already put together. All I'd really be doing is taking the 50 ah pack out and putting the 4.5 ah 24 volt pack in to charge.

Comment

Working...