Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV Level 1 charger - any direct solar options for charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EV Level 1 charger - any direct solar options for charging?

Well I picked up a 18.3 KWH lithium battery with a Toyota Rav4 Prime attached to it. Its a plug in hybrid with a claimed 40 miles full electric range. My only array with headroom for more panels is a roof mounted array with a grandfathered string Fronius inverter (no RSD). Thus I think the code says I cant add panels unless they are RSD which means walking away from the string inverter Thus the question comes up is can I just set up panels on a pole or ground mount and charge the battery using the standard charging port? I think the Level 1 or 2 charger puts out 120 or 240 VAC to the car so the important electronics are inside the car. My guess is it means I would need to set up a microgrid with a battery, to put out 120 VAC?. Level 1 charging is 120 VAC between 12 and 16 amps so 2KW max.

Anyone see or heard of an alternative?.

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post

An alternative to what? Charging with a 120 volt Level 1 charger with the energy from your existing string inverter? 240 volt Level 2 EVSEs are going to be more efficient than 120V. The charger is on board the car and is accessed via the J1772 port. The battery pack is high voltage DC and typically is not easily accessed. Doing so could void your warranty which I assume has some years left on it.

Are you looking for ways to add more solar capacity without having to retrofit your existing string inverter? Does your energy provider offer an EV TOU rate?
    Last edited by Ampster; 03-24-2021, 12:50 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Ideally I would like to pick up some panels, plug into a magic box with a Level 1 or 2 charger pl;ug on the outlet with no connection to the grid or batteries.

My energy provider PSNH of NH (DBA Eversource) does not have any incentives yet as they find its far easier to pack the PUC and keep a lid on renewables. They were forced to offer net metering long ago by our legislature but that is about it, The other large utility in the state is a Co-op (NH electric Coop) and they are much more renewable friendly.

Comment

Ideally I would like to pick up some panels, plug into a magic box with a Level 1 or 2 charger pl;ug on the outlet with no connection to the grid or batteries.
        I am looking for the same magic box for perhaps a different reason. The closest I have found is the Solaredge inverter with integrated J1772 port. It is a GT inverter which is able to adjust the EV charging based on solar production. It does not meet your criteria of no grid connection. It may be able to be programmed for zero export with the addition of CTs and and additional component.
        i have two EVs and a very favorable TOU rate so I build reserve in the summer at $0.50 per kWhr and charge off peak at $0.16 per kWh. That is three to one leverage and two to one in the winter.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Well I picked up a 18.3 KWH lithium battery with a Toyota Rav4 Prime attached to it. Its a plug in hybrid with a claimed 40 miles full electric range. My only array with headroom for more panels is a roof mounted array with a grandfathered string Fronius inverter (no RSD). Thus I think the code says I cant add panels unless they are RSD which means walking away from the string inverter Thus the question comes up is can I just set up panels on a pole or ground mount and charge the battery using the standard charging port? I think the Level 1 or 2 charger puts out 120 or 240 VAC to the car so the important electronics are inside the car. My guess is it means I would need to set up a microgrid with a battery, to put out 120 VAC?. Level 1 charging is 120 VAC between 12 and 16 amps so 2KW max.

You may want to check the warranty of that Rav4 and see if you can use the batteries for anything else beside powering it. Some EV companies are stating the battery can not be used for an off grid system without voiding the vehicle warranty.

Also check with your POCO and see if they have a better rate if you charge your EV via solar.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I do not plan to use the battery for any other use than running the RAV4. What I want to do is charge it off grid avoiding the complexity of off grid power system.

There is a firm that sells a household inverter that connects to the battery for use in a household as a off grid generator, they contend that it is not a violation of warranty. I dont need the product or care to get into the discussion which is much larger.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I do not plan to use the battery for any other use than running the RAV4. What I want to do is charge it off grid avoiding the complexity of off grid power system.

There is a firm that sells a household inverter that connects to the battery for use in a household as a off grid generator, they contend that it is not a violation of warranty. I dont need the product or care to get into the discussion which is much larger.
              I understand and apologize for my questioning your actions.

Comment

Are you simply asking for an off-grid solar inverter with 110VAC output? I can't recall which, but didn't SMA or SE offer an inverter with a reduced power grid-down output?
                7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Yes, just put in an SMA Sunnyboy inverter with a "secure power outlet". Makes 2000w at 120V directly off the array when in off-grid mode.
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...
                  X