Grandfathered Sce plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfathered Sce plan

I have been on a TOU_B plan with SCE with a EV car for a few years. If I have solar installed , can I remain on my TOU-B or will I have to change to a new plan ?

Is that an EV plan? You may be required to move to another TOU EV plan. You may lose your grandfathered rate and have to move to a less favorable EV rate. If you wait too long to install solar you may be on NEM 3.0 which is very likely to be less favorable than NEM 2.0.

What are the terms of your current grandfathered rate and how does that compare with your future rate? When does the grandfathering run out?

My experience with EVs and solar over the past 10 years is that an EV offers opportunities to leverage solar that are greater than any rate differences. I can give you specifics if interested. I am now with PG&E but I was with SCE during the first seven years and the differences are trivial but the historical trends are clear.
    Last edited by Ampster; 03-17-2021, 01:49 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

In contacting SCE 2 different times I was told that I could stay on my grandfather Tier plan . According to the PUC a few years ago, they stated the the grandfather plans had a 20 year term from inception. What I cant find anywhere is if moving into solar nullifies that plan. The only information I can find,is that SCE states you need to be on tier plan with solar. The plan rate would be exceptional on solar.? Here is the info:

Summer rate---------Winter rate

weekdays
      8am-2pm --$.20 ------$.19
      2pm-8pm --$.53------ $.29
      8pm-10pm $.20-------$.19
      10pm-8am $.13-------$.13

weekends
      8am-10pm $.20---- $.19
      10pm-8am $.13---- $.13
      Last edited by steachj; 03-17-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steachj View Post
        The only information I can find, is that SCE states you need to be on tier plan with solar. .....
        It is important to distinguish between a tiered plan and TOU rates. I do not think any of the EV rates are tiered.
        Some older TOU rates had a tier element but were primarily TOU plans. TOU stands for Time of Use and what you showed above looks like a very favorable TOU schedule. Here is a link to the most current EV plan:
        https://www.sce.com/residential/rate...-vehicle-plans

The newer plan has higher rates for off peak charging and less favorable rates for solar credit. You would need to do the math to know which one would be best for your consumption patterns. The solar generation estimate is easily predicted. You would also need to look at the time frames in which your peak rate is currently calculated. As you can see the new EV rate (TOU-D Prime) has very narrow window for solar generation but the off peak window is much wider. If your current rate has a better window you cannot rely on that being grandfathered anyway. The name of the rate plan is in reality about the only thing that is really grandfathered. The rates themselves can change and the rate periods can and will change. The grandfathered rate plan with PGE for my EV plan was only 5 years. You should confirm anything you are told by seeing it in writing. The subtle difference between "tier" and TOU can amount to big bucks if you misunderstand.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe solar today, especially with an EV is a better investment now rather than later. I am assuming you have a favorable roof for installation and can get a market price for installation. As a benchmark, I have seen quotes as low as $2 per Watt.
        Last edited by Ampster; 03-17-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

From SCE website:

]This grandfathered rate plan may be better for high energy users (more than 700 kWh/month). It features lower peak rates, but a higher daily basic charge compared to TOU-D-A and no baseline credit. If enrolled in this rate plan, you are eligible for TOU-D-Prime, with no requirement to have renewable technology.

Highest Rates: Weekdays 2-8 p.m.
          Daily Basic Charge: $0.71 per day
          Minimum Daily Charge: None
          Baseline Credit: None
          ]Summer Rates[/h]Summer rates apply from June through September. Rates are per kWh.
          ]Weekday Summer Rates[/h]Off-Peak: 20 cents from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
          Super Off-Peak: 13 cents from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
          On-Peak: 53 cents from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
          ]Weekend Summer Rates[/h]Off-Peak: 20 cents from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
          ]Winter Rates[/h]Winter rates apply from October through May. Rates are per kWh.
          ]Weekday Winter Rates[/h]Off-Peak: 19 cents from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
          Weekend Winter Rates[/h]Weekend Off-Peak: 19 cents from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Comment

Yes, I can read what the SCE site says. However it does not answer your original question about whether your grandfathered plan would be lost if you installed solar or how long it might be grandfathered.

My guess is with an EV you would be better off installing solar in either scenerio. If I were in your shoes, i would spend my time getting solar quotes and not worry about losing a rate. Use the vendors as a resource to see if they can give you some insight into the rates. Don't trust what they say but verify and compare answers. That might give you some insight into who is more knowledgeable. Vendors often have resources that can model your consumption and compare it to each rate plan to help you decide which rate is better. They may also be able to confirm in writing whether your existing rate is indeed grandfathered and for how much longer.

Comment

Working...
            X