non profit needs $33K to install 5KW solar array???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khanh dam
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

non profit needs $33K to install 5KW solar array???

sounds like a scam to me? why does a non profit need that much money to make a 5kw array????

from thier website:

Any North Carolina K-12 school can apply for a grant of up to $27,000 toward installation costs and $14,000 in related benefits. We are also pleased to be partnered with the State Employees' Credit Union (SECU) Foundation, offering up to $20,000 as part of a challenge grant to select public schools.

2020 NC GreenPower Solar+ Schools
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
    sounds like a scam to me? why does a non profit need that much money to make a 5kw array????
    Why does it sound like a scam?

I think it sounds like they're trying to make sure that even the more complex installations could be covered.
    So if a school needs to they can spend:
    $2k for service upgrade
    $5k for horizontal boring under the parking lot, sidewalk, etc.
    $20k for inverter, wiring, and 5kW of panels and the steel structure to hold them. I think $4/W is reasonable for a smaller installation (5kW) with the steel structure.

Comment

• Weldman
      • Oct 2019

Sounds like peeing in the wind for that much money unless it's for education purposes or get a status saying they are trying to be green. Yeah green with money from tax payers.
      There is some idiots on the school board will approve of this not knowing of such waste and someone along the line gets a kick back and it leads to waste.
      1.2 kWh solar 10.56 kWh battery @ 24v in a RV

Comment

• khanh dam
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

Why does it sound like a scam?

I think it sounds like they're trying to make sure that even the more complex installations could be covered.
        So if a school needs to they can spend:
        $2k for service upgrade
        $5k for horizontal boring under the parking lot, sidewalk, etc.
        $20k for inverter, wiring, and 5kW of panels and the steel structure to hold them. I think $4/W is reasonable for a smaller installation (5kW) with the steel structure.
        a school needing a MPU service upgrade for a small 5kw array. maybe if the school is 40 years old?
        I'm goign to guess 90% of schools have flat roofs, thus no ground mount racking or boring is needed.
        $4/watt for a school will result in a 30 year plus pay off period for almost all schools in North Carololina. Therefore I think it is an unreasonable price.

its' a scam obviously because the school's solar panels will never ever break even on the installation price. no rocket science degree needed for that.

how about making a solar farm and raising teachers salary instead like above video outlines.

Comment

• khanh dam
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Weldman View Post
          Sounds like peeing in the wind for that much money unless it's for education purposes or get a status saying they are trying to be green. Yeah green with money from tax payers.
          There is some idiots on the school board will approve of this not knowing of such waste and someone along the line gets a kick back and it leads to waste.
          money not from taxes, mostly donations

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Weldman View Post
            Yeah green with money from tax payers.
            I think it'd actually be $0 from taxpayers.

I read this as a grant/donations that would be used to pay for solar at a school.
            So it'd be a benefit for the school with no cost to the taxpayers.

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
            I'm going to guess 90% of schools have flat roofs, thus no ground mount racking or boring is needed.
            Why do you think that no school would want ground mount?
            Why do you think that no boring would be needed at any site?
            I know for an electrical project I'm helping plan we are looking at doing horizontal boring, rather than having a trench that would would be filled in and then patch a sidewalk and parking lot.

$4/watt for a school will result in a 30 year plus pay off period for almost all schools in North Carololina. Therefore I think it is an unreasonable price.
            Well, it'd be $0/Watt for the school - so payoff would be immediate.

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

There is very little that government organizations can't do half as well for twice the cost....
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...
              X