Installation problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation problems

We had our solar panels installed in Jan. of 2019. Because of issues between installer and electric co. we were not operational until May . By Jan. 2020 we had our first leak. The co. came out and said it was a flashing problem and 'fixed' it. The 2nd leak was in Apr. in same place. The co. sent a person out who basically said the whole install was not good because of the roof. The roof that had been inspected 3 times and found fine. His solution was: A NEW ROOF. In my 70's, I said I will talk to one of the kids about this. Never heard from them again after someone called and said I had 24 hours to get their special deal on costs.
    I contained the leak with a plastic laundry tub that I have to empty once a month by crawling into the attic. 3rd leak in Nov. and maintenance person looked at it and said the leaks were several holes running along a solar panel in an L shape and that the joist was missed in anchoring. 4th leak to a different panel in Dec. for the same reason.
    The electric company tells me the out-of-state installer is refusing to come back to the state and I am not the only person with a problem. They also tell me that installers do not like to fix another installers problems. I have contacted the co. by messenger and have not gotten a response. I have posted on their Facebook page to have my comment erased.
    I am thinking that I should get the panels removed and put another layer (would be 2nd) on the roof and contacting the Wa. State Attorney General's office about the contractor.
    Hoping to get some good advice.
    Company name Blue Raven Solar if that can save anyone problems.

1/18/21 Finally got someone from the company to come out and look at our problem. I was up in the attic with them explaining everything that was going on after they took a look at the interior damage. Then they were up on the tarp covered roof for an hour or so and came down to tell me that the company is accepting responsibility for the damage both exterior and interior. They will be calling back to set up a time to take the panels off and redo the flashing and make sure that they use sealant on all the places and reinstall!! They also went back in the attic and used sealant on a bunch of places. Feeling much better about the panels now. The person also asked me if I remembered the name of the second person who came out and did nothing but tell me I needed a new roof and he could give me a good deal.
    Thanks bob-n for your help and encouragement.
    Last edited by Sunruh47; 01-18-2021, 03:27 PM. Reason: Adding additional info about leaking solar panels.

Very sorry to hear about all of your hassles.

There is one big question you need answered: is the problem a bad roof, a bad installation, or both?

Can you find an honest, experienced roofer or contractor who can assess the roof situation? In my town, there are a few people that are good at many trades and do small and medium size tasks for a high hourly rate. I'd look for someone like that, local and with a strong reputation.

If it is a bad roof, you need to have it replaced. Most roofers and roofing manufactureres are now recommending against putting a second layer of shingles over a bad roof. It used to be common practice, but not now.

If it is a bad installation, a good roofer or contractor may be able to repair it. Unfortunately, removing solar panels, reworking the understructure, and then reinstalling panels is a lot of labor. I think that someone on this list said that he does removal and reinstallation (but not repair) for $120 per panel (please don't quote me on that), and others thought that was cheap. Fortunately, removing and reinstalling panels is not rocket science. It just requires a good contractor who is willing to put in the time and effort.

If the leaks are in one area, perhaps a roofer or contractor can repair it without removing everything. But from the way you describe it, it may be worse than that.

A quality installation involves putting specialized flashing and roofing sealant under each footing. By footing, I mean the vertical post that comes above the roof line and supports the panel structure and rails. That may be what you call anchoring.

This is the footing/flashing that we use. I've never had a leak and never heard of a leak when using it and installing it per their instructions:
    https://www.ironridge.com/components/flashfoot2/

I don't know law, but if it was a contractor that crossed state lines, perhaps you may have more legal strength than if it was a local person. You're probably going to need a lawyer to get them to pay for the repair.

If you plan to sue them, I would think that you want lots of evidence. For example, ask the contractor or roofer to take photos of everything before starting work.

I just did a search for Blue Raven Solar. They appear to be a multiple-location business. BBB has many complaints filed from them, but give then an A+ rating. That may simply mean that they paid their BBB dues.

Please let us know what you learn and how it works out.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

This is what insurance is for.
      Get it it fixed - you are responsible to mitigate the damage, your insurance should handle it though and then their attack dog lawyers should go after the installers.

Ya, I quit doing the BBB rating scam when I discovered the only way to get a good rating is to pay them a healthy fee. Pretty much of a protection racket.... Google 5-star rating and online references are what count now.
      Last edited by solarix; 01-01-2021, 10:11 PM.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I had a off grid installed Feb 2019. Since then my Trace 6048 inverter has burned 3 times. In additon to the installer what else could be wrong ?
        Any security breakers or fuses that I can add to the system to prevent "overload trip" ?, because once the breaker trips the inverter is toasted.
        Last edited by micorveta; 01-04-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Are you using a generator with it or solely batteries/PV
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
          X