X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

So irritating.

Why is it that, still, after I click onto any particular thread I still have to wait for the annoying beach scene to pop up onto the screen before I can scroll it out of the way? The same TV commercial over and over through the day is bad enough but, EVERY TIME I click onto a new page, really ?!?!? Please somebody with some pull tell the bean counters it's aggravating.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Mods have to endure the same ad over and over too. quite tiresome.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Just about every interaction with this site with my decade old Apple is now killed, I
      did anticipate this entirely unnecessary situation of so called upgrade without any
      testing or concern for new problems, at many sites. I bought an Apple computer for
      the next decade. I will need another PC to do more circuit boards. Bruce Roe
      Last edited by bcroe; 05-21-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
        Just about every interaction with this site with my decade old Apple is now killed, I
        did anticipate this entirely unnecessary situation of so called upgrade without any
        testing or concern for new problems, at many sites. I bought a Apple computer for
        the next decade. I will need another PC to do more circuit boards. Bruce Roe
        Reading all the posts so far relating to the new format reminds me a little bit of when I ran engineering depts. Changes in work tools, equipment, software, other systems, procedures etc. was constant, and a lot of the time, necessary.

However, usually or maybe even most of the time, the need was more invented by peddlers or just as likely by functionaries within the organization that lived in a box, couldn't see the bigger picture and in their myopic view of their organization and place within it wanted little more than to make life easier for themselves.

I observed that most of those claims of improvement that would increase productivity were overblown and a red herring.

The trick was to be able to see/estimate the real possible increases in productivity from the hype and try to choose wisely - at least so that the changes wrought didn't hurt productivity.

As part of the evaluation of systems and equipment used day/day, I always asked the folks who would be using the (new) stuff and try to put myself in their place to see what/if any improvement(s) or problems might come about before deciding on changes.

At least I never sprang it on them. Doing so would have been disrespectful and as a practical matter, hurt morale and anyway, unnecessary . Kind of looks like that might have happened here.

Sometimes change is necessary and for the better, but in the spirit of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", not all change is an improvement, particularly if part of the price is paid in lowered morale which lowers productivity which affects product quality, which....?

Just my $ 0.02.

Comment

• azdave
          • Oct 2014

I also complained about it last week.
          https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lly-irritating

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Someone has to pay the bills.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• solardreamer
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              Sure but does giant ad on every page really increase revenue much over the smaller one? And at what cost to user experience? My understanding from other sites is that periodic interstitial or popup ads work better overall.

Comment

• azdave
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                I agree. That's why I wrote this in my post last week.

...site owners need to acknowledge that it is the forum member discussions that keep these sites current and relevant to modern search engines. If members decide to spend their time posting elsewhere because they get tired of excess ads or spam, a site's relevance goes away quickly and so too the referrals. Member contributions are what makes a forum site valuable, not just ad clicks. It is a mutual symbiotic relationship.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• solar pete
                  Administrator
                  • May 2014

Hi All,

I find it irritating too, I have expressed my opinions to the powers that be, and I think they will look to do something, the techies have moved onto something else, what I have said I want done is to make the banner add smaller and for logged in members for that banner ad to disappear once you into the sub forums, I think it will get done its just going to have to wait until they finish what they are in the middle of right now, cheers

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by solar pete
                    Hi All,

I find it irritating too, I have expressed my opinions to the powers that be, and I think they will look to do something, the techies have moved onto something else, what I have said I want done is to make the banner add smaller and for logged in members for that banner ad to disappear once you into the sub forums, I think it will get done its just going to have to wait until they finish what they are in the middle of right now, cheers
                    Thank you Pete.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Ampster
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by solar pete
                      Hi All,

That would be a thoughtful thing to do for logged in members since they are not likely prospects and are the content providers that creates the revenue that covers the cost of this site. That picture looks like a stock photo of Santa Monica from the Pier. I have fond memories of that place but the fondness for the photo is diminishing.
                      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• RichardCullip
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2019

It's gone for now. Hopefully forever

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

To: Solar Pete/Admin/Whoever fixed it:

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Speaking only for myself, it's a better place without the junk and clutter. I appreciate it.

Comment

• bob-n
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2019

Thank you Pete and everyone else involved!
                            7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• azdave
                              • Oct 2014

Thank you!
                              Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...