X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaxThisPower
    • Jul 2016

DIY Kit Vendors Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

After over 10 years of wanting solar, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. I haven't done too much price comparison yet but I think it's 1/2 the price if I install it myself. I'm just planning on getting a DIY kit and have the vendor create the design plans. For me that's probably the most complicated part.

I heard of solarwholesale.com and looks like they provide everything you need in their DIY kit.

I was wondering if you know of anyone else that you would recommend using.
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

I recommend solarwholesale.com

Also: Sun Electronics in MIAMI LAKES, FL. sunelec.

Last edited by Mike90250; 05-19-2020, 05:31 PM. Reason: remove active link
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

A suggestion and some questions

Get a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies", there may be older free versions on the internet but its cheap investment.

Questions

So you want a grid tied installation or an off grid installation? This makes a big difference

Will your local building inspector/state or local code allow you to install it yourself?

Do you have the skills and safety equipment to do the install without injuring or killing yourself?

Will your insurance cover a self installed system?

If your state or utility has incentives or allows SREC sales, do you need a master electricians sign off? (I had to have a sign off in order for the state to issue SRECs)

Comments

You may need a PE to sign off on some aspects of the install (depends on the AHJ), how will you handle this with a DIY supplier?

I have designed and self installed 3 grid tied systems, I am in rural area and 2 of the installs were self certified as there was no building inspector, On the third one I needed a sign off from a master electrician.to sell SRECS .

Comment

• emartin00
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I used Renvu when I did my parents solar system, and would probably use them again.
        If you're in the Northeast, I would say Alt-E store.

Comment

• MaxThisPower
          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by peakbagger

Get a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies", there may be older free versions on the internet but its cheap investment.

Questions

So you want a grid tied installation or an off grid installation? This makes a big difference

Will your local building inspector/state or local code allow you to install it yourself?

Do you have the skills and safety equipment to do the install without injuring or killing yourself?

If your state or utility has incentives or allows SREC sales, do you need a master electricians sign off? (I had to have a sign off in order for the state to issue SRECs)

Comments

You may need a PE to sign off on some aspects of the install (depends on the AHJ), how will you handle this with a DIY supplier?

I have designed and self installed 3 grid tied systems, I am in rural area and 2 of the installs were self certified as there was no building inspector, On the third one I needed a sign off from a master electrician.to sell SRECS .

So you want a grid tied installation or an off grid installation?
          -- It will be a grid tied system.

-- I'll have to look into this

-- No, but I do know what my limits are. I can install the solar panels my self and have a certified electrification wire up the breaker boxes.

-- I'll have to ask my insurance.

-- We don't have SREC.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger

Questions

Comments

MaxThisPower: Can't add much to what Peakbagger writes that except, after reading the book, maybe a suggestion to get familiar and use PVWatts for preliminary design. It's a model for residential PV. User friendly. Read all the help screens before you make a few runs, get the inputs as close to what you'll be designing for as possible. GIGO applies. The book, as Peakbagger suggests, and the PVWatts model will be a good start.

After that, come back and ask questions to fill in any knowledge gaps your self educations creates.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...