Misleading solar ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misleading solar ads

I'm a reporter at Business Insider working on a story about misleading online solar ads. I'm looking for people who feel like they've been misled by ads or have come across ads that they think are misleading.

Some examples: Ads referencing free solar panels or that say the utility will pay you to get solar
    Ads referring to some kind of government solar stimulus program related to the pandemic
    Ads referencing new state incentives that don't exist
    The context: A lot of companies are relying more heavily on digital sales/lead generation in the wake of the pandemic. I've heard bad advertising is a problem.

You can reach me directly at

MOD NOTE: deleted links and phone number until approval from the Forum Admin.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 05-19-2020, 11:36 AM.

While I appreciate your desire to help people that may have been lead to misunderstanding solar pv system costs you really need to ask permission from the Admin Solar Pete to make a post like yours with links. Until then those links and your phone number have been deleted.

Comment

FWIW, probably no more misleading than any other home improvement ads/come on's, just different particulars that rely on near ubiquitous solar ignorance.

Most every ad/pitch I've ever seen relating to products/services for solar or other alternate energy devices and systems has a lot of B.S. in it.

Want examples ? Pick up most any adfor residential PV and show it to someone familiar with the subject who also has no skin in the game.

Some of us who think we're informed mostly stopped tilting at that windmill a long time ago.

If you really want to help your readership rather than meet a deadline, get informed on the subject. It won't take much education to see the B.S.

Comment

Since my home is on Solar power, I keep getting invitations to attend solar power events.

Commonly these events will have a panel discussion with Q&A to follow. The panels always include 2 or 3 installers, a state legislator, 2 lobbyists, and a finance guru.

Every year a new bill is submitted to the state legislature, to add an additional tax on all utility customers, to fund a grant to subsidize net-metering installations.

In their vocabulary, 'Solar' means net-metering installations, but we live in a state where off-grid solar is far more popular than net-metering.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Ads here say you can erase your electric bill and even profit by selling your excess power and do this all with no money out of pocket. Then they tell you how you can get back between $5000 to $7000 in government tax credits. Wait a minute...you just told us there was no money out of pocket!

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

The neophyte buyer of anything, is the ideal mark, be it cars, house insulation, sail boat or solar panels.

And, in my mind, 90% of the ads are fraudulent through omission of facts that apply in 99.9% of the sales.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post
              Ads here say you can erase your electric bill and even profit by selling your excess power and do this all with no money out of pocket. Then they tell you how you can get back between $5000 to $7000 in government tax credits. Wait a minute...you just told us there was no money out of pocket!
              We have the same contradicting ads here in FL. It started when the PUC allowed "leased" systems which opened the door for 3rd party crap.

Comment

I don't know where to start. I am familiar with most of the incentive programs in California and when one of these ads says there is a new program they are just plain untruthful. I suppose they could say new would be in the past several years compared to antiquity.
                I do like the ads with the pretty girls, because those are the women that will come to my home to make the presentation, correct?
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
                X