Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help setting up a Small Solar Electric system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help setting up a Small Solar Electric system.

Hi, I have a Shed that i built that is storing some equipment, I had asked a similar question before but with a slightly different set up in mind. A few of you guys suggested a battery solar system.

Can you guys please list all the parts I would need to make a small system work,
    Battery, Controllers, Panels, wires and what not.

I am only looking to power 4-6 Battery tender JR ( Hooked to the machinery), and maybe one or two small lights, Lights would be very short use and infrequent, Battery tenders would be 24/7. I am not looking for the best and most expensive, Just looking for a lower maintenance reliable system.

I am not sure the best way to do this as I am not sure it makes sense to go from 12 V to 120 ( Tender ) back to 12 V (battery on the machine)
    I am new to all this and would just like to not have to run a power line to the location as it is not the most convenient, I run a long heavy extension cord out there for the winter but remove it in the spring as it runs though my yard.Thank you

P.S I know nothing about this so please feel free to offer all of your knowledge.

My first thought is a handful of ebay used shipping PV panels, used in VW cars while being shipped across oceans.
    Lots of them in the $22 ballpark. Coleman also has a larger, 6w model, but the type of panel has about a 5 year life. VW Solar Panel Car Battery Trickle Charger

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

My first thought is to strongly suggest that you spend the funds to bury a line from the house out to the shed. Forget about putting in a stand-alone PV system that will be inconvenient forever, always needing attention plus new batteries every few years. That is what I call inconvenient. If getting grid power to the shed is impossible then you have a reason to go stand-alone PV.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Mike do you have any links? and set up ideas?
        Running power to the building would not be easy but could be done, I don't really feel like doing it as I would have to tear up some gardens and landscaping that I have recently done, plus it would have to go though a section of woods.

Comment

A ditch witch trencher with a 4" cutter, and a spool of direct burial cable, is really going to be a more secure solution than half a dozen PV panels plugged into the cars.

i put up a search term for ebay, ebay links go bad in a few weeks and they become useless to future visitors. And I don't want to be someones private shopper and get the blame if a random bay vendor flakes.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I'm assuming the tended batteries are all 12v car type? Why not do something like:
            300 watt 40v house panel --> mppt charger --> 1 deep cycle battery --> fused jumpers for all 12v machinery batteries? Something like this would cost less than $500 I would think.

Comment

I am not quite sure what all these things, are and what model/brand I should be looking at, links would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe.G View Post
                I am not sure the best way to do this as I am not sure it makes sense to go from 12 V to 120 ( Tender ) back to 12 V (battery on the machine)
                I am new to all this and would just like to not have to run a power line to the location as it is not the most convenient.
                You will probably need the functionality of the battery tenders, since they regulate just the right amount of charge to the batteries. For that you’ll need a small inverter to give you 120 VAC. You’ll need to find out what power consumption in watts is and size the rest of the system from that. There is a device called a Kill-a-watt meter that you can use to determine the power in watts the inverter needs to supply. From there you work backwards to size the inverter, battery and solar panel.
                Last edited by sdold; 12-13-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X