Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaFetts
    • Oct 2019

Inverter headache

hello all. I am attempting to wire up an rv. I have a few high power pull items. the highest being a 1900 watt induction cooktop. I have looked at a variety of inverters.. some have two plugins, some 4 etc.. what I have noticed is that all of the plugins seem to be 1500 watts or less. Is there a model I need to look at? Can I draw 1900 watts out of one plug? lets say I had a 6000 watt inverter with three plugs.. one going to 1900 watt cooktop, one to 1500 watt insert, and one to 1900 watt toaster/convection oven.. can I do it? If not..whats the work around?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

What is your battery bank voltage? 24 or 48 volts ?

a 1900w cooktop will need a 2500w inverter and consume about 95 amps at 24V. Double those amps for a 12V system, and you have a fire about to erupt in your battery bay. Thats why there is no gear to do that at 12v
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DaFetts
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
      What is your battery bank voltage? 24 or 48 volts ?

a 1900w cooktop will need a 2500w inverter and consume about 95 amps at 24V. Double those amps for a 12V system, and you have a fire about to erupt in your battery bay. Thats why there is no gear to do that at 12v
      If I wire two 12 volt batteries in series am I good? hook them up to my inverter and away we go? (these are ac plugin unit cookttops)

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by DaFetts
        If I wire two 12 volt batteries in series am I good? hook them up to my inverter and away we go? (these are ac plugin unit cookttops)
        2, 12v batteries in series gives you 24V. You will need a 24v inverter. But your batteries have to be large enough to be able to supply the very heavy load of the appliances.

A "generic" deep cycle 12V battery is about 85 amp hours, 40 of which are usable.
        A "generic Golf Cart" battery is 6v 200ah, with about 100ah usable. 4 of them wired in series for 24V, might carry the 95A load for 30 minutes before they fail.

The next step up in reliability, is a 48V system, with 8 golf cart batteries, giving you 48V, 200ah. That should carry the (now its only 45A load) load for at least 30 minutes, maybe more.

Or a 3000 watt generator might be the easier way to power this gear.
        Can a Harbor Freight Generator really beat a Honda that costs twice as much? In Consumer Reports' recreational inverter generator face-off, find out whether the lower-priced Harbor Freight Predator generator performs as well as or better than a Honda model.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• PNW_Steve
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

As I have progressed on my RV project I came to the conclusion that, even with 1800 watts of panels and a 24 volt 430 amp/hour battery bank, I will still have to rely on the generator at times.

if I could eliminate the hair dryer and curling iron it would get me a lot closer to being independent of the generator. I gave it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that I like being married.

I have gone with propane for cooking and hot water as well as giving up my favorite coffee maker for a French press and a tea kettle on the propane stove.

My suggestion would be to do as much as you can to reduce how much power you need. Use propane appliances where practical, LED lights and low power TV. When you have trimmed your energy budget as much as is practical then size your system t meet your energy budget.

I have Honda and Champion inverter generators and would recommend either one for RV use. The Honda is quiter but I do like the remote control feature on the Champion. My only gripe now is that I have to carry a third fuel onboard. . A diesel generator was not in the budget.

Good luck.
          Last edited by PNW_Steve; 10-05-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

It is hard to quantify the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but it IS important.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• PNW_Steve
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Ampster
              It is hard to quantify the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but it IS important.
              Gotta take care of SWMBO...

Comment

• DaFetts
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by PNW_Steve
                As I have progressed on my RV project I came to the conclusion that, even with 1800 watts of panels and a 24 volt 430 amp/hour battery bank, I will still have to rely on the generator at times.

if I could eliminate the hair dryer and curling iron it would get me a lot closer to being independent of the generator. I gave it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that I like being married.

I have gone with propane for cooking and hot water as well as giving up my favorite coffee maker for a French press and a tea kettle on the propane stove.

My suggestion would be to do as much as you can to reduce how much power you need. Use propane appliances where practical, LED lights and low power TV. When you have trimmed your energy budget as much as is practical then size your system t meet your energy budget.

I have Honda and Champion inverter generators and would recommend either one for RV use. The Honda is quiter but I do like the remote control feature on the Champion. My only gripe now is that I have to carry a third fuel onboard. . A diesel generator was not in the budget.

Good luck.
                Totally agree.. maybe a solution I found for power use might apply for you guy.. On amazon I found a mini projector. 1080p, and plugs into dc (usb). I found a model for 130 bucks. picture is great, full charge lasts 2 hours (it can be plugged in for continuous) wifi and bluetooth. using old tablets and a couple of these projectors to make a media server that can serve front and back of the bus. My bus came with an onan 7000 generator, so I should be good there (it suddenly stopped starting, getting a guy out to look at it tomorrow.) I hate the big draw items.. but my wife wants her induction cooktop and dry fryer and multi-pot. *shrug.. I can only stand there nodding and being agreeable.. then let all you nice people shoulder the weight of my relationship outcomes by helping me get it done or not. You have a mans life in your hands

Comment

• DaFetts
                  • Oct 2019

this is the stovetop I'm wanting to put in: https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-ICT-...AHH44A1EF9RMYK

Comment

Working...