X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sevensuns
    • Feb 2019

Solar Charge controllers control function

Hi all !

Had this question in mind. Was wondering if my charge controller can control the amp flowing out as per the load ? I currently have a 20w panel connected to a 12v 7 amp battery. My load is a 5w small led tube. Was wondering if the charge controller can control or limit the amp flow as required by load. I want to limit the light or make it dimmer hence will consume less amp.

I previously tried by changing the load with a led strip cut into 15 cm. I noticed after few days the led strip losing its brightness due to excess heat or more amps, also a bit dark overheat marks.

Also is it possible to control the amp generated by a charge controller ? I belive anything connected to the load socket is considered as a load by the panel so no point in connecting any kind of dimmer switch.

Please suggest.

Thanks !
  • sevensuns
    • Feb 2019

Can some one please advice?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

A charge controllers LOAD terminals only apply battery power until the battery becomes dangerously low in voltage, then the LOAD terminals are turned OFF. They do not regulate voltage or amps, it is assumed you are connecting proper, low power devices to the terminals. Battery voltage can vary from 11V to 16V depending on the charging mode at the time. Your load must include a regulator if it needs one.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sevensuns
        Hi all !

Had this question in mind. Was wondering if my charge controller can control the amp flowing out as per the load ? ......

I previously tried by changing the load with a led strip cut into 15 cm. I noticed after few days the led strip losing its brightness due to excess heat or more amps, also a bit dark overheat marks.
        I have used constant current limiting devices on LEDs. There is a sweet spot where the efficiency goes up without much loss of light. What are the specs of your LEDs? How much current are they actually drawing?
        Your strip may have had a driver and you may have eliminated it when you cut the strip.
        Last edited by Ampster; 08-11-2019, 10:34 AM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

LEDs are current driven devices. Any system using them requires a means of current regulation
          if they are powered by a voltage source. Do not modify an LED system unless you know how to
          provide it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Dayrobber
            • Jul 2019

Need cc help. My 12v 2000/4000 PSW Inverter shuts down when i remove the load. Reliable in China ask for a video of this. I've talked about before. After viewing the video this is the response I need help with.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your video.
            I have fed back this video to our engineer.
            He told me the inverter is in high voltage protection.
            When the fan is turned off, the input voltage rises to 13.4v, and the red light comes on,which is indicating that the input voltage is high ,when the input voltage rises to 14.4v or even 14.7v, the output disappears.
            This is because the battery voltage is too high and the inverter is in high voltage protection.
            Your battery voltage should be greater than 14.4v.
            The inverter is a 12v DC version with an input voltage range of 10-15v

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Likley your charge controller is not responding fast enough to slow charging when the loads lower.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Dayrobber
                • Jul 2019

How would I remedy that? I can adjust the cc somewhat. But the parameters are a little confusing. Thanks.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

You need a quality charge controller that can quickly respond to changing conditions. That is what controls the high end of the battery voltage, the power coming from the PV panels needs to be quickly regulated to control the voltage. What size is your PV array ? It may be that if you are over 700W of PV, you need to adopt a higher voltage battery system like 24V or 48V

Comment

• Dayrobber
                    • Jul 2019

I only have 3 x 100w panels, and I thought the Tracer 4210 mppt cc was good. IDK...

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

What produces power ? PV panels.
                      What regulates it Charge Controller

If you are getting faults from too high of voltage, only thing it can be is the charge controller is not performing well

Comment

• Dayrobber
                        • Jul 2019

Thanks alot Mike99250. I really mean that. It's not easy trying to get things up and running. Many think it's plug and play. If its small,it can be. No matter how much research and preparation you can still find yourself on the ledge. I actually feel like I might have psyched myself out with to much research. I'll continue my off grid solar battle until the war is won. Or at least a small fan and a led light. I now will read the Tracer 4210 parameters,and adjust the voltage to meet my inverter. Again Thanks. Later.

Comment

• sevensuns
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Ampster
                          I have used constant current limiting devices on LEDs. There is a sweet spot where the efficiency goes up without much loss of light. What are the specs of your LEDs? How much current are they actually drawing?
                          Your strip may have had a driver and you may have eliminated it when you cut the strip.
                          Thanks a lot for all your responses.

Current my load is a 12v led tube drawing 0.25 amps when checked using the 12v 7.2amp battery. I want to minimize the amps consumed by the tube so it can last longer. I understand that means loss of brightness. I am not sure if connecting a dimmer device between the charge controller and the led is a good idea. I once tried to connect a small switch to control the led but the wire got warm. I suppose what ever is connected to the controller is taken as load.

Also any body aware of such low leds which consume less amp so can last 24x7 ? Also looking for similar led light with strobe effect.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

As mentioned earlier a current limiting device will do what you want. The 12v tube may already contain one. The loss of brightness is not linear. Do you have any specs on the LEDs?
                            A resistor will limit current but create heat and I don't think that will save energy.
                            You can Google LED drivers but you need to use one that outputs the current that is optimum for the specs of the LED you are using.. Most of my experience is with high powered COBs but the concept is the same. There may not be an economical solution. The alternative is to shop for a tube or string of LEDs with lower light output/current draw.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM.
                            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Here's a link to a USA store with some dimable and efficient LED's

Comment

Working...