can i use a solar panel without using battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Having lived comfortably on about 2,200 kWh/yr. for about 7 years or so in the first hose I owned, I believe you. You're also not in America where usage, for better or worse, seems to be profligate.

Nicely done.
    Sorry I must have been distracted when I posted those figures...We use around 1825 kWh per year.

The average energy use of the rest of the people in my suburb is around 15 kWh per day or 5475 per year but I think this is far less than most users in the USA that contribute to this site. We have a temperate climate and therefore do not need to heat our homes except for perhaps in July. Most of our costs are for aircon during the summer months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beanyboy57 View Post
      Sorry I must have been distracted when I posted those figures...We use around 1825 kWh per year.

The average energy use of the rest of the people in my suburb is around 15 kWh per day or 5475 per year but I think this is far less than most users in the USA that contribute to this site. We have a temperate climate and therefore do not need to heat our homes except for perhaps in July. Most of our costs are for aircon during the summer months.
      I believe the average in the U.S. for a household is somewhere around 11,000 kWh/yr. or so at this time, depending on who's doing the counting. However, that varies some by region, climate, family size, income and other variables.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        I believe the average in the U.S. for a household is somewhere around 11,000 kWh/yr. or so at this time, depending on who's doing the counting. However, that varies some by region, climate, family size, income and other variables.
        I agree that there are a lot of variables that help determine the amount of energy used by a US household. Mine was over 26000 kWh/yr in 2010. Now after many changes I have cut that in half and still working on reducing it because IMO is too high.

With low cost electricity and the high number of electrical toys and appliances available it can be hard for a family of 4 to reduce their consumption without making some hard changes to their lifestyle. Going over to an off grid life style would require a quantum change in daily practices or paying for a "system" that costs over $100k US..

Comment

• Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          I agree that there are a lot of variables that help determine the amount of energy used by a US household. Mine was over 26000 kWh/yr in 2010. Now after many changes I have cut that in half and still working on reducing it because IMO is too high.

With low cost electricity and the high number of electrical toys and appliances available it can be hard for a family of 4 to reduce their consumption without making some hard changes to their lifestyle. Going over to an off grid life style would require a quantum change in daily practices or paying for a "system" that costs over $100k US..
          Aside from the cost, I suspect most folks have neither the knowledge or the inclination to acquire it, nor the persistence to incorporate the changes in lifestyle that are probably necessary to have an off grid lifestyle.

I kinda' suspect that the 11,000 kWh/yr. figure would need to drop by ~ half or more before off an off grid lifestyle became a realistic financial and practical possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunnyspecial View Post
            My question is
            can i use a solar panel in daytime directly to supply electricity my home appliances without using battery.

i mean

one solar panel and then inverter and then load.

is it possible?
            what possible safety measure should i have take into account to protect my appliances from overcurrent.
            Yes, use a either a micro inverter or a grid tie inverter.

Comment

• Yea, what themaxx69 said. Sorry. Just an attempt at humor.

Okay, well my name is James. I am new at this subject and am learning. <off topic deleted >

Just introducing myself, being honest and interested in learning from all of you. Thank you in advance for your patience, willingness to share your knowledge and all the education I'm sure I will get from you.

What is the best way to setup my own power generation system to supply power to my families home and NOT give huge chunks of money each month to the "energy monopolies"?

Is using capacitors instead of batteries better (longevity, space and reliability) or is the opposite true?

What about, as you said, smaller redundant systems and what's the ideal setup?

My goal is to build my generation/storage system into my mobile bugout vehicle with ability to run cables to home as needed but have it very redundant, packable and as stated, ALWAYS MOBILE. I need education on batteries, capacitors, inverters, step up/down transformers, etc. I have been an automotive technician most my life, separated military and survivalist with a large family. I'm not completely useless in these matters but do know that I need help to learn these key areas.

Thank you so much.
              God Bless you and yours
              and
              GOD BLESS the USA and her Patriot son's and daughters.

Talk soon,
              James
              Last edited by Mike90250; 06-17-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• This is a very old, dated thread, much of the gear has changed in the last 2 years

Originally posted by KngJmz View Post
                Yea, what themaxx69 said. Sorry. Just an attempt at humor.

Okay, well my name is James. I am new at this subject and am learning. <off topic deleted >

Just introducing myself, being honest and interested in learning from all of you. Thank you in advance for your patience, willingness to share your knowledge and all the education I'm sure I will get from you.

What is the best way to setup my own power generation system to supply power to my families home and NOT give huge chunks of money each month to the "energy monopolies"?
                Simple, give even larger chunk$ to your battery supplier. The wear and tear cost of batteries has always been more that the cost of grid power

Is using capacitors instead of batteries better (longevity, space and reliability) or is the opposite true?
                A bank of capacitors will only run a smallish inverter for a very short while. They are useful for some small surge applications, properly paired with batteries (like EV downhill recharge)

What about, as you said, smaller redundant systems and what's the ideal setup?

My goal is to build my generation/storage system into my mobile bugout vehicle with ability to run cables to home as needed but have it very redundant, packable and as stated, ALWAYS MOBILE. I need education on batteries, capacitors, inverters, step up/down transformers, etc. I have been an automotive technician most my life, separated military and survivalist with a large family. I'm not completely useless in these matters but do know that I need help to learn these key areas.

Thank you so much.
                God Bless you and yours
                and
                GOD BLESS the USA and her Patriot son's and daughters.

Talk soon,
                James
                Going mobile, a can of gas, holds more power than a trailer full of batteries.
                Transformers only work with AC, for DC you need DC-DC Converters
                Batteries have 2 lives - Cycle Life, and Calendar Life, once they are built, the calendar life starts ticking down.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                X