News claiming solar becoming one of the cheapest power sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    I am afraid that most people will not be able to afford even cheap home energy storage which will put them in the dark if their POCO cuts power for any reason. There are way too many people living below poverty level now. Imagine how many will be in the dark if electricity can't be a guaranteed source.
    Probably a lot. But that's a risk people take living in very rural areas. As the climate warms up this will happen more and more often, because of 1) increasing demand due to A/C, 2) increasing risk of fire due to more frequent red flag conditions and 3) greater litigiousness.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
      Probably a lot. But that's a risk people take living in very rural areas. As the climate warms up this will happen more and more often, because of 1) increasing demand due to A/C, 2) increasing risk of fire due to more frequent red flag conditions and 3) greater litigiousness.
      I guess we can pray for a volcano to put a lot of ash into the air to block the sun and cool us down. Oh wait that will screw up the solar panel production. Forget what I just said.

Comment

Here in Nor Cal, generators are flying off the shelves. Inland along the I-5, there have already been some "public safety" power cuts, that only lasted a day. Lots of resources were thrown at the line survey afterwards to get the power back on quickly. As summer proceeds, and more cuts happen, more clueless public will drag out the generators and too short of electric cords and start making a mess of things. ( refueling while running, Co poisoning.....)
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Here in Nor Cal, generators are flying off the shelves. Inland along the I-5, there have already been some "public safety" power cuts, that only lasted a day. Lots of resources were thrown at the line survey afterwards to get the power back on quickly. As summer proceeds, and more cuts happen, more clueless public will drag out the generators and too short of electric cords and start making a mess of things. ( refueling while running, Co poisoning.....)
          But at least if the power is out, the POCO's won't be blamed for starting fires. Gonna be a fun summer. Might even improve the gene pool some.

Comment

Working...
          X