Best way to get alot of Kw from DC to Ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get alot of Kw from DC to Ac

I'm still learning and picking up cheap panels as I go along, everything IV got now is based around 24v but the inverters are tiny for my grand plans

So after a bit of research it seems the best way to get to 240v Ac when big numbers are involved is simply to start with 240v DC (or there about)

Am I on the right path or am missing something?
    I'm going to need alot more battery's to get to 240v DC XD
    ​​​​​
    Any advice is always helpful
    Thanks

With technology these day you can convert about any voltage dc to 240 vac. The closer you can get the dc voltage to 240's the more efficient the conversion will be.

Comment

I ran into a gent several years ago that built his own 120vdc to 120vac inverter.

He claimed 97% efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by vm1990 View Post
        I'm still learning and picking up cheap panels as I go along, everything IV got now is based around 24v but the inverters are tiny for my grand plans

So after a bit of research it seems the best way to get to 240v Ac when big numbers are involved is simply to start with 240v DC (or there about)

Am I on the right path or am missing something?
        I'm going to need alot more battery's to get to 240v DC XD
        ​​​​​
        Any advice is always helpful
        Thanks
        first you need to specify you "grand plans"
        There are many ways to build a system and a 24V battery system is not the most efficient.
        any battery system for that matter is not very efficient.
        Grid Tie would be the most efficient.

Now what country are you in? in the US the regulations and restrictions around anything over 48V is going to be pretty strict and anything connected to the grid will require a lot of certifications and testing.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

first you need to specify you "grand plans"
          There are many ways to build a system and a 24V battery system is not the most efficient.
          any battery system for that matter is not very efficient.
          Grid Tie would be the most efficient.

Now what country are you in? in the US the regulations and restrictions around anything over 48V is going to be pretty strict and anything connected to the grid will require a lot of certifications and testing.
          Fair enough IV avoided grid tie in simply due to the amount of paper work and testing I'd have to get so many things checked and signed off (UK by the way) shortish term 10kw would be nice has to output 240vac but input I'm quite flexible I'd only need new charge controllers and maybe more battery's can just about manage to get 240vdc from 6 panels IV got so far and about 5 amps there currently connected to 2x12v 220amp battery's so I'm loosing a bit I'm just trying to weigh up the cheapest and most stable options 240vdc to 240vac inverters seem better bang for buck, avoiding 12v all together as there seems to be alot of clones out there and there quite pricey even for a 3kw one and hardly ever see them go higher than that. Long term I'm aiming for wind farm XD sounds like it's way out there but I'm good at finding broken items and getting quite good at coaxing life back into them even if I can't get 100%

also here in the UK the grid tie in fee is so low now that you might as well just burn money instead I think it's something like 8p per Kw/h now

Comment

First off you are not going to want to find the same voltage. To get 240 volts AC you need 360 volts peak.

But even then you don't really need to match them. If you are going off grid you will be choosing battery voltages that are practical. 48V works well. There are a few (not many) 120V systems around. 400V systems are becoming more popular. But that's battery voltage not solar array voltage; typically solar array voltages will be significantly more than that. 100V is often targeted since 150V is a common maximum for charge controllers.

If you are staying on grid you are going to be targeting around 500 volts for reasons of cost. (Least amount of copper required.)

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
              First off you are not going to want to find the same voltage. To get 240 volts AC you need 360 volts peak.

But even then you don't really need to match them. If you are going off grid you will be choosing battery voltages that are practical. 48V works well. There are a few (not many) 120V systems around. 400V systems are becoming more popular. But that's battery voltage not solar array voltage; typically solar array voltages will be significantly more than that. 100V is often targeted since 150V is a common maximum for charge controllers.

If you are staying on grid you are going to be targeting around 500 volts for reasons of cost. (Least amount of copper required.)
              thanks do you or anybody else know a few good brands of inverters I can keep an eye out for. Most of the ones on eBay IV seen look dodge as hell, AliExpress seems to be alot better for them but I'd feel better knowing a few brands and what to look out for.

For now I'm sticking with 24v homepfully pick up a 3-5kw inverter until I can find a 4th 220amp battery to match with the 3 IV already got

Comment

thanks do you or anybody else know a few good brands of inverters I can keep an eye out for.
                Victron is the cheapest I would go. If you are looking for quality inverters, check out Outback and Xantrex.

Comment

Working...
                X