Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • altair401
    • Nov 2018

Tracking Consumption

I've seen devices online which you attach to the breakers in the fuse box which give you a read out of the energy you're consuming. Has anyone used these?

We just got our solar last spring and would like to eliminate any waste Our home has always consumed an enormous amount of energy and while we suspect that a few things like the hot water heater (electric), dryer, and refrigerator are the culprits we'd just like to know for sure.
    ​​​​​​
    Thanks!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

There are a number of electric consumption measuring equipment available. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how hard it is to install the "sensors" in your breaker panel.

TED makes a few models but again there are many out there and some are smart and costly and others are simple and less costly.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

That is a good project when pressed to the bitter end. Took a couple years here to find where
      all the energy was going, and to eliminate waste. Don't ignore all the small things, just one warm
      wall wart wasting a couple watts is consuming 17.5 KWH a year. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by altair401
        I've seen devices online which you attach to the breakers in the fuse box which give you a read out of the energy you're consuming. Has anyone used these?

We just got our solar last spring and would like to eliminate any waste Our home has always consumed an enormous amount of energy and while we suspect that a few things like the hot water heater (electric), dryer, and refrigerator are the culprits we'd just like to know for sure.
        ​​​​​​
        Thanks!
        I have used both the Neurio and the Sense. They are similar but the subtleties set them apart.

Neurio is what is used by the Tesla Powerwall and the user support is not great, probably because they are focusing on their major customer. It is more easily configurable. It does have good integration with IFTT and I use that to send me a text when my solar generates more that 500 Watts. I have not yet set up the triggers to have it turn on the heat pump water heater or other loads but that is possible.

The Sense has a learning algorithm that is supposed to learn each appliance. It takes a while and I have only recently installed it again so I don't know how long it will take or how useful it will be. Once an appliance or device is recognized Sense can trigger an IFTT action like sending you a text for example if the dryer is being used during the Peak rate TOU period.

They both use CT clamps, one set for the main panel and another for solar. The Neurio allows you to configure each CT clamp so if you have a load or source that is balanced you can put the clamp on one leg, multiply the output by two and use the other clamp for another balanced load or source. The main CT I place on my main panel which has unbalanced loads on each leg, That way I measure all the consumption.
        Last edited by Ampster; 11-26-2018, 06:10 AM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Paul Land
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2018

​​​​​​
          Thanks!
          KILL-A-WATT plug in single item and TED ENERGY DETECTIVE whole house connects to panel and sends signal thru ele receptacle to monitor
          Last edited by Paul Land; 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

​​​​​​
            Thanks!
            The TED Pro works well and has a multi line option you can use to get individual circuits It also has learning. I use the TEDPro with two MTUs (one for main and one for solar) with the spyder for other lines. You would want the two MTUs as the spyder does not report well for solar but fine for individual lines. TED also has some learning but it doens't work will with modern energy star variable usage equipment, works really well with constant wattage equipment like well pumps etc.

not sure what inverter system you have but some have really nice consumption meters as well.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• frankge
              • Aug 2018

Trifecta, I have wattnode, sense, and solar edge monitors

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Here is another tool I used to determine my electric stove was averaging 0.4 KWH a day. The
                stove circuit was routed through a standard revenue meter ($25 Evil Bay) and then to the double
                breaker. Bruce Roe

ENEmeter.png

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by bcroe
                  Here is another tool I used to determine my electric stove was averaging 0.4 KWH a day....
                  Clearly a cost effective solution. Probably no phone app?

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
                    Phone apps can be hacked. I also prefer the old ways for some measurement devices, but then again I am 65.

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
                      There are still some rotary dial phones around here.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Phone apps can be hacked. I also prefer the old ways for some measurement devices, but then again I am 65.
                        I am 74 and I am convinced the government has all my phone calls, text messages and emails. Everyday I make a choice between my privacy and my convenience. Fifty years ago I would have never imagined a world without rotary dial phones tethered to a wire.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

....... Our home has always consumed an enormous amount of energy and while we suspect that a few things like the hot water heater (electric), dryer, and refrigerator are the culprits we'd just like to know for sure.......
                          This post inspired me and I reconfigured my Sense to monitor my whole house and my solar. I had to reset it so it is now trying to learn my devices all over again. They had a Black Friday sale so I bought one as a Christmas present for my daughter and son in law. Last year they bought a home and got hit with a big electric bill. They are both into technology and I will hook it up for them and let them play with it.
                          Earlier I mentioned that I also had a Neurio and I am going to put those CT clamps on some individual loads that I specifically want to monitor like the electric dryer, car charging and the AC in summer.

Comment

Working...