Just bought 8.5kw Sunpower panels!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought 8.5kw Sunpower panels!!

Hey guys!! so I'm pretty excited. I just bought 10 345 watt sunpower panels, and 14 360 watt panels coming to 8.49kwh. The best thing was, I got all the panels for $3410 including the freight shipping!!! Yes their used, but in excellent condition minus the mounting points, and figured being the 345 panels are at most 3 to 4 years old and the 360 panels can only be like a year and 1/2 old, their still basically new. What's your opinion? Would you have jumped on the opportunity? I figured typically these same panels would of costed about 15000 so I thought it was a good investment assuming they check out.

only other thing I need to get is inverters, framing, and wiring...

what's your idea on the best inverter to get for a system this size? With room to upgrade in the future (probably to a 12 to 14kwh system max). Also how would I go about getting framing for these panels? Their the same dimensions just different efficiency. And then of course wiring is typical. Thanks guys and look forward to hearing from everyone... its been awhile lol

One question I'd have is why are they being sold ?
    Another question might be are you sure the seller owned them ?
    A third might be, are you sure they work, or not misused/damaged ?

Too many ifs for me at this time.

Comment

My assumption was being sold from a large solar farm considering their coming out of Arizona. Its through an auction company which tested them n full specs are there.
      their on their way n should be here hopefully by next Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon8791 View Post
        My assumption was being sold from a large solar farm considering their coming out of Arizona. Its through an auction company which tested them n full specs are there.
        their on their way n should be here hopefully by next Thursday.
        Caveat Emptor.

Comment

I'll definitely be checkin them out. Would you consider that a steal assuming their working? Seller does have over 90k reviews n a lot of it is solar n seems to be good so I'm crossing my fingers... worse case theres a 30 day money back guarantee

Comment

I'll definitely be checkin them out. Would you consider that a steal assuming their working?
            That's 28 cents per watt for used panels, vs 50 cents a watt for new. Provided they are for real, undamaged etc then it's a reasonable deal, but not a steal.

Comment

I'll definitely be checkin them out. Would you consider that a steal assuming their working? Seller does have over 90k reviews n a lot of it is solar n seems to be good so I'm crossing my fingers... worse case theres a 30 day money back guarantee
              To reiterate, Caveat Emptor.

BTW, you do know that to get the 30 % fed. tax credit, the material must be new and not used, right ?

Don't shoot me, I'm only one of the piano players around here.
              Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-14-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I did find that out yes, but considering their 15000 new compared to 3400 I figured that was decent. I couldnt find any installer that would sell them cheap lol I know i can get Chinese panels for .50 a watt, but the sunpower panels I could only find around 2.00/w n up.... I mean I guess as long as their working I'm happy lol. Now i guess the journey begins for the rest of the equipment O.o

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                  That's 28 cents per watt for used panels, vs 50 cents a watt for new. Provided they are for real, undamaged etc then it's a reasonable deal, but not a steal.
                  Hey Jflorey,

That sounds like a good deal. I have been shopping pretty seriously and have not found new panels for 50 cents a watt including freight .

Could you share with us where you found them?

Thanks.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
                    Could you share with us where you found them?
                    Renvu is a pretty good site. Right now they have CSUN 340 watt panels for 47 cents a watt (minimum 600.) Seraphim 340 watt for 51 cents a watt (min 260.) Peimar SG310's for 57 cents a watt (min 27.)

Comment

I got the panels off ebay used. Which their sunpower and in excellent condition so I'm expecting great things.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                        Would someone check my math please ?

(10 panels * 345W/panel) + (14 panels * 360 W/panel) = 3,450 W + 5,040 = 8,490 W.

Cost = $3,410.

Cost/W = $3,410/8,490W = $0.402/W.

Still less than new panels @ ~ $0.50/W, but the spread is a lot less for buying a pig in a poke for some unknown condition, no tax credit, and what will not be any more annual production for the same size system with other panels. Doesn't look like such a good deal to me, especially after no tax credit.

Comment

Yeah I got .40 a watt... I'm going by what the sunpower panels cost new. Its difference between buying say Michelin tires vs yang kang. Obviously Michelin is the better name brand and going to be better quality. New runs about $2/w vs the .40/w I got them for with very little use. Kinda like buying a used car that's say 6 months old. Save a decent amount, but not as much as being saved on these panels. Which I understand I can get other cheaper panels new for alittle bit more, but theres no risk involved on these panels considering theres a 60 day warranty from the seller n 30 day money back from ebay

Comment

I got the panels off ebay used. Which their sunpower and in excellent condition so I'm expecting great things.
                            Sunpower is good stuff. But, you bought used stuff for what looks like ~ $0.40/W. Even if/when new, annual output of what you bought will be no more/less +/- a bit (you hope - remember - no warranty) than other stuff you could probably get for ~ $0.50/W + freight. Until tested inspected and tested, the actual condition and performance of what you bought is unknown.

So, you're paying ~ ($0.10/W + freight) or so less for the panels, getting no 30 % tax credit for any of the system which will sure chew into that $0.10/W savings, and no product warranty on the panels.

I think you may wind up paying more in the end than if you bought new stuff and you'll have a fewer options if problems develop that might provoke a warranty claim.

But, maybe it'll all work out.

Good luck.

Comment

I hope it works out lol. But I'm thinking im saving more around 1.60 a watt... which if I did the 30% credit I guess I'm saving more toward a $1/w. Which is still decent to me. I'll keep everyone posted when they get here

would just testing the voltage work? I tried testing my other panel that I know is working, even under load (hooked to dead battery) it wouldn't produce amps on voltmeter but it would show the volts

Comment

Working...
                              X