Our Grid tie solar aray has been off for 2 to 3 months ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voyager
    • Feb 2014

Our Grid tie solar aray has been off for 2 to 3 months ...

We were forced to evacuate our home due to an eruption.
    I disconnected the solar system and turned all the breakers off before leaving our home.
    It has been in that state for 2 to 3 months.
    The power company is going through the area checking and fixing everything before turning the power back on in the area.
    We should be allowed back in soon.
    Anything I should watch out for or beware of when turning everything back on?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Before I activated the system, I'd very carefully check the array close up, starting with all the wiring and connections, looking for disconnects or unusual things like ash buildup/debris, etc., particularly under the array. Have anything suspicious checked out by whoever installed the array. Then, I'd blow the (assumed) ash/dust off the array with a leaf blower. Then, hose it down. ONLY THEN, wash the array with mild soap and a SOFT cloth on the end of a long pole. DO NOT climb on the array.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I agree with JPM. Once all of the ash or debris is removed and the panel surface is cleaned you need to check all of the wiring or connection points to make sure you have no short circuits or "paths" that will allow a short to ground or between the + & - wiring.

It might be a good idea to have the original installer (if they are around) to perform a total system check on it.

Comment

• voyager
        • Feb 2014

There is no debris or anything that may affect the installation, no severe weather, other than a hurricane that did no damage, has occurred.
        Heavy rains have kept the panels and roof cleaned off.
        It has only been left fallow.

I will check things out though.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by voyager
          There is no debris or anything that may affect the installation, no severe weather, other than a hurricane that did no damage, has occurred.
          Heavy rains have kept the panels and roof cleaned off.
          It has only been left fallow.

I will check things out though.
          Good luck. I hope it all starts up for you.

Comment

Working...