Significant decrease in SCE TOU-A rates?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonvr
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Significant decrease in SCE TOU-A rates?

Just saw that a new TOU-A tariff went into effect on August 27. It looks like rates have actually gone down a significant amount which is unexpected for an IOU

My calcs show that Peak summer rates went down 18% (.47382 to .38852). Winter peak rates went down 16.85% (.35125 to .29208). Off peak went down in the 8% range while super off peak went down just a smidge (about 0.2%)

Note that the baseline credit was once again decreased, this time by over 10%. Frankly though, I'm not sure that is so bad if you're over producing since the credit actually works against you when over producing as it becomes a charge.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

On POCO rates, particularly in CA, at least as far as I think I've observed over the years, FWIW, but probably applicable most anywhere in the U.S:

1.) Rates are changing all the time.
    2.) Mostly they go up, but sometimes they go down.
    3.) Rates and schedules are complicated, much more complicated than a simple rate /kWh may lead you to believe. An actual billed per kWh price for neighbors, even on the same schedule and over identical billing periods can be substantially different based on different usage alone. To say, for example " rates went up (down) by 6 %" for example, may be true in an overall revenue for the POCO sense, but usually a gross misstatement as it may apply to an individual ratepayer. You gotta' run the numbers for your individual situation taking account of ALL the variables involved in your bill. Those variables can and often do influence not only an individual bill but also each other.

Take the above for what it may be worth, but it's based on some of what I think I've learned about CA POCO rates and policy since moving to CA and making a study of such things.

Comment

• jasonvr
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

So I went and ran some numbers for my July and August bills. The standard tiered Rate D also decreased at the same time, so I've got numbers for that as well

If I were still on Rate D and didn't have Solar, my bills in July and August would have gone down about $30 each.

However, due to the lowering of the overall rates on TOU-D-A, my net credit for July would have gone down by about $11.50 (i.e. less built up reserve credit) and August would have gone down by about $2.

Interesting how lowering of rates has a negative effect on those on TOU. However, would expect that in months where my production goes down (i.e. the winter), things shift around and the amount of debit (i.e. the amount chipping away at my built up credit) will be lower as well.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jasonvr
        So I went and ran some numbers for my July and August bills. The standard tiered Rate D also decreased at the same time, so I've got numbers for that as well

If I were still on Rate D and didn't have Solar, my bills in July and August would have gone down about $30 each.

However, due to the lowering of the overall rates on TOU-D-A, my net credit for July would have gone down by about $11.50 (i.e. less built up reserve credit) and August would have gone down by about $2.

Interesting how lowering of rates has a negative effect on those on TOU. However, would expect that in months where my production goes down (i.e. the winter), things shift around and the amount of debit (i.e. the amount chipping away at my built up credit) will be lower as well.
        From how you write it, I believe you're beginning to see and understand some of what I was writing about. It ain't conceptually difficult to understand, just that there's many things that interact w/one another, and a less than easy though not impossible task to get answers to what all those variables are, how they change and where to find explanations as to just what they all mean in their impact on a bill.

Welcome to "The triple R" - Rate Rat Race.

Having fun yet ?

Comment

Working...