New install with boot prints on panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New install with boot prints on panels

Hi all, after system was installed I got up on the roof to inspect panels found them to be covered in boot prints and finger prints also smeared silicon. Are panels rigid enough to withstand people standing on them? They are 275w seraphim's. Qld. I have withheld payment untill panels are cleaned.

Most concerning is what was the silicone for? The flashing should have been completed before the ov modules were installed .
    Last edited by ButchDeal; 08-08-2018, 09:20 AM.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I guess they've had silicon on there hands while installing panels... Panels are on 3 areas of the roof. Should panels be stood on?

Comment

You can stand on them but should be avoided unless last resort as you get micro fracture in the cells.

there should be no reason to have silicone when installing pv modules, and leaving it on the modules is ridiculous
        Last edited by ButchDeal; 08-08-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Are they strong enough to withstand the force of someone walking on them? Yes, they have to withstand high snow and wind loads.
          Should anyone be walking on them? Absolutely not. Several studies have shown that the high weight concentrations on panels can lead to micro cracks in the silicon which causes much more rapid degradation.
          I would be calling the installer up and telling them to replace all of the panels, and install them correctly.

Also, they smeared silicone, not silicon. Silicone is a liquid rubber. Silicon is what the panels are made of.

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post
            Are they strong enough to withstand the force of someone walking on them? Yes, they have to withstand high snow and wind loads..
            Snow and wind loads are distributed loads. A foot or hand is more of a point or concentrated load. Reaction from a panel will be different. A 200 lbf distributed load is not the same as 4, 50 lbm point loads

Panels are not designed to be walked/crawled on. STAY OFF.

Comment

Thanks emartin00, yes silicone. I guess there is a out put/circuit test for each panel which will need to be done, ill call head office with my concerns as I've been dealing with the salesman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eqnx33 View Post
                Thanks emartin00, yes silicone. I guess there is a out put/circuit test for each panel which will need to be done, ill call head office with my concerns as I've been dealing with the salesman.
                they very likely will test fine now but will have a much higher likely hood of premature failure due to micro-fractures in the cells.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

they very likely will test fine now but will have a much higher likely hood of premature failure due to micro-fractures in the cells.
                  Right, the microcracks may not cause an immediate decrease in output, but as they heat cycle in the sun, the cracks will grow progressively, causing much higher degradation.

Comment

Thanks for the info, still cant belive theyve walked all over them! They have a 10 year warranty but i have informed Seraphim (manufacturer) of the issue after install.

Comment

I'll be interested to know how seraphim responds.

Comment

If you push the issue with the installer, it would be good to have pictures of the footprints and an email from the panel manufacturer stating that they could be damaged if walked on. That would be hard to argue with.

Comment

Working...
                        X