Battery voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery voltage

I am sure this has been asked a million times but I can't find a thread on it so here it goes. I just bought a new RV and installed a 400 watt solar system on it. The solar controller I got looks fancy but I'm a bit upset because it has no settable preferences. The kit I sold with my last RV was completely customizable and I could set everything on it to what I liked. I had my batteries charging up to a maximum of 13.4 volts and it all worked great. Now my new solar controller looks pretty but I can't set squat. It float charges at 14 volts. Is this too high? Do I have to worry about boiling my batteries? I just bought 4 brand new 6 volt golf cart batteries for it and I don't want to wreck them right out of the gate. Any input would be great Thanks!

A 12 volt flooded battery bank needs to be charged to 14.8 volts and float at 13.6. Of course this will drop at night. Fully charged healthy battery when fully rested, (no load, no charge) will sit at 12.8 volts, approx.
    What controller do you have? I know some of the EP Ever and rebranded models need the remote LCD readout to customize voltage setpoints. Other controllers need to be connected to a computer program to set values.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

It's a CMG or something controller. Full digital read out. I'm going to try it out this weekend and really keep an eye on stuff. It says it charges at 14 volts but I don't want it to sit at that for 12 to 15 hours (we get that in Canada in the summer easy) I'm afraid if there is no usage and they are getting pounded at 14 volts for such a long time they may cook.

Comment

Working...
      X