Panel damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel damage

Does this look like lightning damage? The front side is brown and discolored, but the glass is intact. Burning is evident on the back side. It's a Siemons SM-110 "12V" panel, part of a four-panel series string that paralleled with seven similar strings. It's a high mountain site so lightning is common here.
    Last edited by sdold; 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM.

I would guess some type of internal short.
    Lightning would likely have destroyed the whole panel, not just fried one cell.

I suppose it could be an indirect strike which would induce a high voltage in the system.

Comment

Looks like limited failure of just couple spots, Lightning/EMP should have zippered the whole panel like that, not just 1 cell.

What is the string voltage ?
      Last edited by Mike90250; 07-26-2018, 07:33 PM.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I thought so too, but haven't seen lightning damage to panels It's one in a series string of four, for a 48 volt system. I'm guessing around 75V when the on/off charging relays are off. I have air terminals all over the array and don't see any blackening of frames or anything else. I guess I'll have to go up and look closer all over the array to see if I see any gaps jumped or anything like that. I've just never seen anything like this.

Comment

It's looks like a hot spot to me caused by many years of the panel being shaded from fixed objects on the roof, I see it all the time.

Comment

Thanks Pete, it's not shaded. Also I was mistaken about the configuration, this panel is in a 12V system (the site has 12 and 48). It's paralleled with six others, and then that group is repeated four times for a total of 28 panels in parallel in the 12V section. Could it be that the other panels shoved some current through a defect in this panel? The panel is on the bottom row, fifth from the far right. The drawing shows the interconnect, one of a group of four. There are no fuses in the paralleled panels as you can see.

Comment

Working...
            X