One of the panels displays strange behaviour.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • astroprojector
    • Aug 2016

One of the panels displays strange behaviour.

Hello,

I am not sure if I should worry yet. I noticed strange behavior with one of the panels. At 12pm the panel 1.1.14 works correctly. It shows that it produced 224.61Wh. It produces the same amount of energy as rest of the panels. At 12:15pm the energy display drops. It shows that it produced 56.47Wh. See attached files.

I am not sure why it is. It pretty hot today but not as hot as several days ago. I looked energy output for the panel for the entire month and seems normal until today.

Any ideas why this might happen?

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Some questions
    How old is the installed array ?
    how much space between the roof and the panels - 2" 4" 8" ???
    What is the microinverter installed, what brand / size panels ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• astroprojector
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Some questions
      How old is the installed array ?
      how much space between the roof and the panels - 2" 4" 8" ???
      What is the microinverter installed, what brand / size panels ?
      The system was installed in July of 2016 and turned on in August of 2016. I had no issue with this panel before.
      The space is 5.5"

Panel Info:
      Serial Number: 107A08A5-37
      Manufacture: Sunpreme
      Model: SNPM-GxB-300

SolarEdge Optimizer P300

SolarEdge Inverter: US-SE10000A

Comment

• JSchnee21
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2017

Is there a shadow on that panel during the time period the output is reduced? Even a tiny shadow from a sewer vent pipe, electric wire, tree branch, etc. If you graph Wattage versus time for that panel in the SE portal, does wattage drop at the same time each day and then come back up later in the day? Over how many days? Aside from a shadow, could be faulty bypass diode or solder joint cutting out when the panel gets warm and expands.

Comment

• astroprojector
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by JSchnee21
          Is there a shadow on that panel during the time period the output is reduced? Even a tiny shadow from a sewer vent pipe, electric wire, tree branch, etc. If you graph Wattage versus time for that panel in the SE portal, does wattage drop at the same time each day and then come back up later in the day? Over how many days? Aside from a shadow, could be faulty bypass diode or solder joint cutting out when the panel gets warm and expands.
          No shadow. The panel is under full sun all day long.

This what I see in the graphs.

Attached Files

Comment

• astroprojector
            • Aug 2016

I spoke with the SolarEdge support and they suggested to have installer come out and have them check the optimizer voltage in open air and the connections for any leakages. The problem is that my installer no longer in the business. Can anyone recommend the installer that will provide support for the system and can come out and do the check? I am in the Los Angeles area.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by astroprojector
              I spoke with the SolarEdge support and they suggested to have installer come out and have them check the optimizer voltage in open air and the connections for any leakages. The problem is that my installer no longer in the business. Can anyone recommend the installer that will provide support for the system and can come out and do the check? I am in the Los Angeles area.
              Not bustin' on the OP, and off topic, but this is another ringing example of the logic behind only considering using established electrical contractors. No guarantees in life, but a vendor who was around before PV with an established business and other ways to make a buck besides PV will probably be around to service the PV if problems arise and after the bottom falls out of the PV market as is beginning to happen with the decline of net metering.

Astroprojector: I'd call SolarEdge back and explain your predicament about getting vendor orphaned. If nothing else, they (SolarEdge) may have a bit more weight and influence with other installers you did not use.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...