Samlex inverter / charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samlex inverter / charger

I have a samlex inverter/charger evo 1224. Its a 1200 watt 24v inverter. (sunking got me out of a 12v box) I will be using this as an UPS for an aquarium pump and to run one bedroom, maybe a fridge, during a power outage until I pull out a generator. I will be supplying it with 4 Deka 230ah 6V in series. According to the specs, it has a built in charger of 40 Amps and also accepts an external charging source ( solar, gen, etc.) Is 40 amps enough during Bulk for 230ah 24v bank? I know the 10% rule but the 24v is throwing me off. Should I attach another charger to the ext. charge inputs? Thanks for your input.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/documen...Sheet-0118.pdf
    Last edited by Firewill65; 06-20-2018, 09:46 PM.

40 amps is more than adequate on a 230 AH battery. Not sure why 24 volts is throwing you off because voltage has nothing to do with Amp Hours and charge rates. 10 amps is C/10 on any 100 AH battery even if that battery voltage is 2, or 12,000 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Would I be better off keeping it at 12V and running the 4 batteries in series and parallel to gain more reserve time?

Comment

Originally posted by Firewill65 View Post
        Would I be better off keeping it at 12V and running the 4 batteries in series and parallel to gain more reserve time?
        Huh? That makes no sense. Here is why:

Battery Watt Hour Capacity = Battery Voltage x Amp Hours.

So you have 4 x 6-volt 230 AH batteries = 5520 watt hours. You can arrange them three ways.

All 4 in parallel (4P) = 6 volts @ 920 AH = 5520 watt hours
        2 in Series, 2 Parallel (2S2P) = 12 volts x 460 AH = 5520 watt hours
        4 in series (4S) = 24 volts x 230 AH = 5520 watt hours

No matter how you spin it you have 5520 watt hours.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you sunking for clearing this up for me...I was missing the watt hours formula and just looking at the amp hour number, now it makes sense. I'll stick with the 24v Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X