Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destructor
    replied
    I always loved the 3d stuff. I'm a warbirds fan myself. Love the scale stuff. I started years ago with the electric foam models and have progressively moved to bigger planes. I fly 80 inch gas models now and love them. My dad has been flying since the 70's and does giant scale. He has quite a few planes he competes with in scale competition. He is just finishing up a 17 foot albatross with twin 100cc engines for the lake. I need to figure out how to post pictures here.

Leave a comment:

• citabria
    replied
    Thanks for all the info...

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    I use one of the low end Revolectrix RC battery charger called the Cellpro Multi4 for my batteries. There are better chargers that they sell and Sunking has given you some good info.

I am also a member of the RCGroups forum and you can learn a lot from other members there.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by citabria View Post
    The included charger appears to have battery clamps for 12 volt car battery, hence my request for a wall charger.
    Duh my bad. What you are going to find is Hobby Chargers require a DC power supply. I hesitate to answer because if I tell you what it takes for that charger will not support much else if you decide later to get into the hobby further. The charger supplied is pretty much a uni-tasker and only charge small 3S batteries. A regular hobby charger can charge up to 10S like the one I have and can charge any battery type with any algorithm your heart desires with 1300 watts of power.

So here is what I will tell you. Go back to Hobby King or search around for 12 volt DC power Supplies and buy the largest one you can afford. You will need at least 3 amps to start out with but keep in mind that is only 40 watts of power and would not be of any use if you decide later to take the hobby up. At the field you might want the ability to recharge batteries in 20 minutes or at the C4 charge rate, and the charge you wil bet will take an hour to recharge. So give it some thought.

Watt Flyer registration appeared to be offline earlier, the recaptcha thing was dead....still is dead.
    I am setup for some electronic work, and I could do the EC3, I'll look into it.
    OK there is a much larger RCGroups Forum by Hobby King. Give that a try but be prepared to get bombarded with replies. Watt Flyer is dedicated to electric. RCG is any fuel and any model type from planes to boats. A lot of Manufacture reps hang out on RCG and answer questions.

Edit Note.

If you can afford it there are hobby chargers with built in DC power supply. Example from HK is this Link. Be sure to read descriptions for anything extra that might be needed. Or just Google RC HOBBY CHARGERS AC/DC
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• citabria
    replied
    The included charger appears to have battery clamps for 12 volt car battery, hence my request for a wall charger.

Watt Flyer registration appeared to be offline earlier, the recaptcha thing was dead....still is dead.

I am setup for some electronic work, and I could do the EC3, I'll look into it.
    Last edited by citabria; 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Blarg, What would be a good wall charger for those EFLB32003S batteries 120 vac?

Getting ready to finalize an order...yeehaw.
    OK double check but I think the the plane comes with a 3S charger. If not reply back and I will give you some suggestions.

Next do not buy any of the HH batteries. They are way over priced and low quality. Instead go to HobbyKing and buy Nano-Tech 3S batteries. I personally use 3S 2650 mah for that plane and get every bit of 15 minutes fly time. You cannot beat that deal for $14.35 for a 3S 2650 35C battery.

EDIT NOTE:

Scrap that battery idea as it comes with XT connector, you need EC3. If you know how to solder, you can cut the plug off and put on a EC3. Another good battery manufacture is Glazier and available from Buddy RC. Whatever battery you go with check connector type. All HH models use EC3 or EC5. The Apprentice uses EC3.

Keep in mind you are not married to 3300 mah battery. You can go lower down to 2200 mah which is the most popular size and thus the best value for you money and easily will give you 10 minutes fly time. Just be mindful of COG balance with a lighter battery.

Lastly take the time and join Watt Flyer and take your questions there please. Bare in mind the lithium batteries have limited cycles. The cheap one around 50 cycles, and up to 200 cycles for top quality.
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• citabria
    replied
    Blarg, What would be a good wall charger for those EFLB32003S batteries 120 vac?

Getting ready to finalize an order...yeehaw.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by sdold View Post
    Thanks for posting. I like the engine sound and the forward slip to landing.
    Yeah and that is where he is using Thrust Vectoring on the prop. Like on a helicopter rotor cyclically using the cyclic. That takes some freaking skill combining both head chopper offer and plane flight controls. My pea brain cannot communicate all that action to my thumbs.

Did you catch the catch the Knife Edge Spin/Roll? Where he hoovered hanging on the prop vertically, and spin the plane 720 degrees on the Yaw axis. Or perhaps inverted hoover and made the plane back up going up in reverse? Planes are not suppose to do that. Those are 3D head chopper offer stunts.
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    Thanks for posting. I like the engine sound and the forward slip to landing. I wonder if anyone has put wheels in the wingtips to roll down the runway, that would be a neat trick.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Thanks much....
    You are welcome, Your keywords doing your search online is

High Wing Trainer.
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• citabria
    replied
    Thanks much....

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    My question to you is, what would be a really good electric trainer either PnP or ARF? And what what be a good radio to match with it? For transmitters: I have an old AM, an old Futaba FM, and a newer Futaba 4YF transmitter. I do not have any micro or mini servos.

My elevation at 6,000 to 7,000 feet is a factor, since my ground speed is a bit faster than at sea level. I am an advanced hang glider pilot, and we get to watch the flatlanders from TX fly too slow for their final approach and usually stall abit as they flare.
    Hands down the best Electric Trainer is a Horizon Hobby Apprentice S 15E with SAFE. Note it looks just like a Cessna 172. One issue for you is it takes 5 channels of DMX transmitter, and the 5th Channel is PANIC usually set to the Trainer Button. So if you get in trouble, press the Panic Button and the plane will right itself into straight and level flight. The plane a gyro RX with 3 flight modes of Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. In Beginner Mode you can only Pith the nose up or down 15 degrees, and only Roll 15 degrees and the plane is impossible to stall in beginner mode. It can land itself by just using throttle. Having said that the plane comes with a 5-channel TX and 1 battery. They come with a 3S 3300 mah battery and with that battery can say up a good 15 minutes, It is the plane I started with and have bought a few to give away to kids down here in Panama and even bought a couple and gave to kids in the USA when I return and go to my old club.

To use your own TX a good one to consider is any variant of the Cub. Horizon Hobby makes one and it has the SAFE technology. So in a nutshell any plane that is a copy of a Cessna or Piper Cub.

FWIW go to this forum, and registrar. Ask your question there and I and others can give you a good list of planes to look at.
    Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• citabria
    replied
    Sunking, I have a couple of 2 meter gliders. I built one from a kit, a Goldberg Gentle Lady, and the other is an arf clone of a Gentle Lady. Years ago a built an Goldberg Eagle, and was able to fly it a bit before a total crash.

My question to you is, what would be a really good electric trainer either PnP or ARF? And what what be a good radio to match with it? For transmitters: I have an old AM, an old Futaba FM, and a newer Futaba 4YF transmitter. I do not have any micro or mini servos.

My elevation at 6,000 to 7,000 feet is a factor, since my ground speed is a bit faster than at sea level. I am an advanced hang glider pilot, and we get to watch the flatlanders from TX fly too slow for their final approach and usually stall abit as they flare.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
    The one point he was pushing backwards in air got me.
    The key to that is a BIG engine and a light body.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Really nice flying. He is a good pilot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X