Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chilidog
    • Mar 2014

Solar panels ans water pumps

I have a few water pounds I want to use water pumps to circulate the water around and I was wanting to use solar to run them. The idea is to run panels
    to operate a 50-100w pump. I don't care to use any batteries just to go from inverter to the pump and whatever the hours I get from it per day is what it is. So the
    question is what watt panel do I need to run a 50-100 watt pump direct from the panel/inverter?
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

This has been done, but usually with DC pump motors and a properly matched set of
    solar panels. Regular inverters need batteries to stabilize the power, and AC motors
    are very intolerant of the varying nature of solar power. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Simple you cannot do it that way. They do make pump motors to work directly from a panel, but not your motor. Besides it does not take electricity to do what you want, and no one will steal it.

Last edited by Sunking; 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by chilidog
        I have a few water pounds I want to use water pumps to circulate the water around and I was wanting to use solar to run them. The idea is to run panels
        to operate a 50-100w pump. I don't care to use any batteries just to go from inverter to the pump and whatever the hours I get from it per day is what it is. So the
        question is what watt panel do I need to run a 50-100 watt pump direct from the panel/inverter?
        Is the pump DC and what is the voltage range it can run on?

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle

Is the pump DC and what is the voltage range it can run on?
          Not certain SE but he mentioned he does not want to use batteries on an Inverter. Sounds like AC pump to me.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking

Not certain SE but he mentioned he does not want to use batteries on an Inverter. Sounds like AC pump to me.
            Well as you know an AC load will not work directly from a solar panel without an inverter and batteries so I had hoped the OP was talking about a DC pump. If not then end of story.

Comment

• chilidog
              • Mar 2014

I haven not purchased anything yet. I was just looking for some ideas with keeping the cost down because I have several water holes I was wanting to do this with.
              So looking at an AC system and DC system prices. I did see awhile ago there was an inverter that hook right into the back of a panel and you could get AC power right away.
              If i could get say a 50watt DC pump and have 1 panel for it and put in on a float for each pond or I could make and AC system with x amount of panel for x amount of 50-100watt AC
              pumps. If there is not an option to stay away from the biggest cost, the batteries then so be it.
              The only thing I have on hand is 2- 285w panels and a charge controller (not sure of the amp rating).

Just by reading my own post look like I might have answered my own question with a 50watt DC pump and a 100watt panel.
              I'm simply trying to have water circulation in a pond using solar. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

I will let you do your own searches and homework. You can do what you want, just not quite the way you thought of. They make DC Pumps to be ran directly from solar panels. Google is your friend in this case. Just search Solar Water Pumps.

They come in two flavors of Ground (surface) and Submersible (well).
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...