Thanks to the Forum Workhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to the Forum Workhouses

I am too new to post here. Instead, every morning I make coffee and read posts: sticky posts, search result posts, old posts, new posts. I am sure many others have done the same.

Yesterday I found J.P.M. being bashed in a current post. I know that's how forums are, and I imagine that you let it roll off your backs, yet I want to speak. I am getting to know some names, like J.P.M., Sunking, Mike9... and SkyEagle. (Sorry for the ones who are left out.). I am amazed by your generosity. Thank you so very much.

Bashing ? What bashing ? We don't need no stinking bashing !!

Compared to some of the discussions with respect to engineering stuff I used to get into with folks before retirement that actually involved systems and issues where mistakes endangered safety or cost $$, this is a walk in the park. I'm quite certain other technical folks here have very similar experiences they could share.

FWIW, and for me only, it ain't the bashing at all. That's part of honest and effective communication among sentient folks with a mature outlook on the world. This is mostly about trying to stop/correct all the ignorant misinformation that can get out and cause problems. Most of the rest, for me anyway, is sharing info that may help someone.

Being upset by frank talk is the M.O. of children, or those folks who lack maturity. I've found that's where most of the complaints about my behavior around here come from.

Besides, this is at least partially about the exchange of information, and IMO, some of mine is safer, more useful and maybe a bit unique, and so often better than that of the bashers, but opinions vary. Besides, it ain't a popularity contest.

So, thank the mods. They do the real grunt work. I only bloviate - All the fun and none of the slop shoveling maint.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      Compared to some of the discussions with respect to engineering stuff I used to get into with folks before retirement that actually involved systems and issues where mistakes endangered safety or cost $$, this is a walk in the park.
      Ah, I see I've led a sheltered life...Thank you, Mods!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie View Post

Ah, I see I've led a sheltered life...Thank you, Mods!
        Sign in all my offices over the years: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Sign in all my offices over the years: The beatings will continue until morale improves.
          I use to say my work place used the carrot and stick approach to get people to work harder. I found out that the carrot was really just an orange painted stick.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I use to say my work place used the carrot and stick approach to get people to work harder. I found out that the carrot was really just an orange painted stick.
            Most of my coworkers and particularly those who reported to me quickly learned the sarcasm of the sign.

Besides, too many meetings and beatings stifle effective communication too much.

Comment

FONT=comic sans ms]Sign in all my offices over the years: The beatings will continue until morale improves.[/FONT]
              We only have the cone of silence, no posters allowed
              ConeOfSilence.jpg
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

They're a helpful bunch, I agree, and with a definite No-BS attitude that is actually helpful for neophytes like I was (even as a BSEE and experienced engineer). You don't want to go into such a huge undertaking with illusions that it will actually be productive (barely, under the best of circumstances), or good for the environment (pollution just gets offshored to China during PV etc. manufacturing), or will let you stick it to the Man and disconnect from the grid (enjoy your cold showers and generator fumes).

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post
                  They're a helpful bunch, I agree, and with a definite No-BS attitude that is actually helpful for neophytes like I was (even as a BSEE and experienced engineer).
                  Backwoods, thanks very much for that. I'm a BSEE, and it's nice to know, as I go sorting this all out, that you've appreciated the help also.

I suppose a lot of the negative chatter around here could be from folks who misinterpret the conversational style of technical types. I've just started a book by a socio-linguist discussing just this type of conversational disconnect.

Comment

Backwoods, thanks very much for that. I'm a BSEE, and it's nice to know, as I go sorting this all out, that you've appreciated the help also.

I suppose a lot of the negative chatter around here could be from folks who misinterpret the conversational style of technical types. I've just started a book by a socio-linguist discussing just this type of conversational disconnect.
                    It's only a disconnect until you get used to the beatings.

Or, not unlike the guy who was explaining the inconvenience of his regular abductions by extraterrestrials: "I don't care much for the anal Probes., but at least they let me drive the spaceship."
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-20-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I've just started a book by a socio-linguist discussing just this type of conversational disconnect.
                      I'd like to know the title/author of that book; sounds interesting!

Comment

Working...
                      X