Solar panel for camping problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel for camping problem

Hi guys, i just want to charge some stuff like camera batteries, phone etc..pretty much everything is charged via 5v usb. The problem i have is that i have a fold out panel with a sae dc type plug which comes with a cigarette lighter 12v port. The problem is that most of the time there is only around 10v being produced by the panel so it seems that a cigarette lighter to usb adapter doesn't want to work as i presume that if there isn't enough voltage from the source, it won't be able to run through the resistors or however that works. Any ideas on how to make this work? I have looked for sae dc to usb adapters but they are all (for what i can find) 12-24v

That roll out panel is either, not 12 volt , not in DIRECT sun or not working right
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
      That roll out panel is either, not 12 volt , not in DIRECT sun or not working right
      i guess it may not be working right but does this mean i can't use it at all, i mean even if it has 8-10v, thats still more than 5v

Comment

From your description it sounds like it "kinda" works. Can you live with it?
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

It may not be a bad panel, but you are trying to draw too much current from it. Since it appears you can measure the voltage with a meter, what is the voltage not connected?
          You can buy a couple $ buck converter which will drop the panels voltage to 12V and increase the the current slightly. This will give you better performance in decent light conditions. However, once more is drawn than the panel can produce the voltage rapidly drops. There are circuits that will keep the panel voltage constant and will continue to charge at a lower current.

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
            It may not be a bad panel, but you are trying to draw too much current from it. Since it appears you can measure the voltage with a meter, what is the voltage not connected?
            You can buy a couple $ buck converter which will drop the panels voltage to 12V and increase the the current slightly. This will give you better performance in decent light conditions. However, once more is drawn than the panel can produce the voltage rapidly drops. There are circuits that will keep the panel voltage constant and will continue to charge at a lower current.
            voltage is usually sitting on around 9.6v on average. Thanks man, what is the converter called? Sorry to sound like a noob but i am when it comes to solar. I really do appreciate any help

Comment

Working...
            X