Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XPlant
    • Dec 2017

Mini Magnum Panel

I would like opinion on a piece of equipment. It is the Magnum Energy MMP250-30D. It appears to have all the systems and circuitry that I am looking for to finish my battery backup system. I will be connecting it to a Magnum Energy MS4024. According to the literature it has AC and DC bypass for off line maintenance. It also has a 250 amp DC breaker and a 500A/50mV DC shunt installed for easy connection to battery status monitor. Additional solar connections are on it that I will not be using for the time being. I will be using this battery backup system for power outages up to 4 hours and with generator support it could be used for days.
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

I have used the Magnum panels several times and recommend them. Especially if you are needing to have the system pass inspection. Makes the system very nice and neat. Plus, Magnum extends the warranty on their inverters from 3 to 5 years if you use one of their panels. Another thing I've learned about the Magnums is if you want a remote display the standard display is fine, but if you want to adjust any of the internal parameters - you need the advanced display.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• XPlant
      • Dec 2017

Thxs for the reply solarix. Yes nice and neat, I have tried to piece the components together but come up short of this system. It will also require a inverter hood and not sure if I will need a back plate. I am mounting it next to my whole house breaker panel onto a cement wall.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by XPlant
        I would like opinion on a piece of equipment. It is the Magnum Energy MMP250-30D. It appears to have all the systems and circuitry that I am looking for to finish my battery backup system. I will be connecting it to a Magnum Energy MS4024. According to the literature it has AC and DC bypass for off line maintenance. It also has a 250 amp DC breaker and a 500A/50mV DC shunt installed for easy connection to battery status monitor. Additional solar connections are on it that I will not be using for the time being. I will be using this battery backup system for power outages up to 4 hours and with generator support it could be used for days.
        Really bad idea. Forget the battery and just use the right size whole house generator. Hybrid Inverts like you will be using require an Auxiliary Emergency Breaker Panel of small amperage, and you have to rewire your house to reroute emergency loads to the Panel like a few lights and fridge.

With a whole house generator, is a lot less expensive, no expensive hybrid Inverter, no expensive charge controller, no expensive wiring, no expensive batteries that you replace every few years despite rarely if ever using them, and no rewiring your home. Last point is when power goes out with a whole house genny you get to run everything in your house like nothing happened, and get to watch your neighbors suffer while nice and comfortable in your house counting several thousand dollars you saved.

250 amp low voltage DC fuse. God Help you. Make sure your HO/Medical Insurance policy and Last Will will and Testament are up to date.
        Last edited by Sunking; 04-19-2018, 02:31 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• XPlant
          • Dec 2017

Not disputing your logic and I would no doubt have all the neighbors, family and friends at my door step with a setup like that. Whole house generators installed can cost upwards of $10K depending on brand and fuel. Don't have natural gas here so a tank and plumbing would be an additional expense. A portable version would not do my house without excessive noise and fuel as we run about 40kwh per day. And still would need to install a transfer switch of some type. Fuel can be difficult to come by even a cat 2 storm. I had a portable generator at one time that would run half the house. Problem was keeping it in shape to start and run when needed and enough fuel on hand. Now I have a 3000 watt Honda that is used for dry camping in addition to potentially charging batteries in a power outage.

Comment

Working...