Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooking up and LED light blub to solar panel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up and LED light blub to solar panel!

I was looking for a way to install a multicolor changing bulb and some how mount it outside and power it by a solar panel to light up my fire pit area at night. Here is the link to the bulb I was looking at, it is 5 watts, but I also don't know how I would link it up to the solar panel "https://www.amazon.com/EagleLight-Color-Changing-Light-Remote/dp/B001JHZSEG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520968316&sr=8-7&keywords=multicolor+led+bulb+5+watt". It doesn't have to be this one, but I was hoping to get a blub that changes colors with a remote like this one has. I will most likely be installing the light under a wooden bench I have outside, if this is at all useful to know. Realistically, I would really only use it in the summer and maybe for 3 to 4 hours at night, and I have rather long summers living in Kansas. But it might be nice to somehow be able to store any extra energy, if this is at all possible, for a rainy day so to speak. Hopefully someone will be able to lead a complete novice like me in the right direction!

Sincerely,
    -Sean

That bulb operates on 120 VAC, so you'd need a solar panel, charge controller, battery and AC inverter. It's a lot of equipment, expense and effort for a light bulb. Could you run AC power to that location instead?

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
      That bulb operates on 120 VAC, so you'd need a solar panel, charge controller, battery and AC inverter. It's a lot of equipment, expense and effort for a light bulb. Could you run AC power to that location instead?
      I could use an extension cord, but I was hoping to not use cords and have some type of remote to turn the lights on and off. And although I'm a little blurry on what VAC really is, I agree that it would be a bunch of work to just light up one bulb! Perhaps, I could use some string solar lights that are already connected and somehow add a remote? Would something like this be possible you think?

-Sean

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyNoobGuy123 View Post
        Would something like this be possible you think?-Sean
        Not if you're not familiar with electrical terms like 120 VAC, which means 120 volts AC. If power is close enough to use an extension cord, your best bet would be to have an electrician run power to that location, so you could run the lights you want, plus other things like a laptop, CD player or a blender for margaritas.

Comment

That light bulb is going to cost you $300 to $500 to do on solar. Are you sure you want to do that? Kind of silly don't you think?

Solar panel = 100 to $200
          Charge Controller = $100
          Battery = $100
          Inverter around $75 to $100

Be careful what you ask for.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

here's a 12V version that may work https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Strip_Co...arrgb1.jpg.htm
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              The OP will still need a battery to light that LED when the sun isn't shining.

Comment

First off, thank you for all the responses! And I think you guys are right that I might have just been caught up in the thrill of having a real reason to use some solar panels. But it probably does make more sense to run ac to that location! I will update you all when I start work on it, which realistically won't be until the start of summer!

Thanks all,
                -Sean

Comment

Trench in a Low Voltage Line, connect to a 12 VAC Landscape transformer and call it done.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

I don't think you can get a 12V blender.

Comment

Sure you can. They are called "trolling motors"

Comment

Got one in my camper.

Comment

No Tree Hugger, Green Mafia, of leftist would use an electric blender. Oh can you imagine the the horror that would create.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                          X