Small Race Boat Solar Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

between 2 to 4a
    . That's a 100% difference, and not something I can decide on for you.

The primary $300 Li batteries I pointed to, are military man-pack radio batteries. You can kick them, drop them and they are still going to work. Submerged, most batteries and electronics stop working.

Figure out your max total watt hours needed for the entire race, and buy that much battery, plus one more, in case "something" happens. For 5 days, solar and it's support gear, is actually pointless, go with the primary batteries. They should be shipable, but customs/duty fees might cost you, but no more than solar gear would.

And if you don't like free advice from some of the top experience in the field, don't buy any, just make up anything as you go.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Ah, PEng, 40 years, now I understand.

Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBell View Post
        Ah, PEng, 40 years, now I understand.

Good luck with that.
        I do not need luck, semi-retired and quite comfortable. 4 homes, with 1 in Panama. Never snows or freezes where I hang my hat. Try paying me to get detailed answers. Otherwise all I can do is guess what you need. It is not my life on the line.

If you were paying me I would make you sit down with me face to face and determine exactly how many watt hours you need in a day. That is the very first step end of story. Once you know that, then you can determine if it is even possible. Only advice I can give you now is keep a separate battery for the VHF/UHF and GPS Radios. Sounds like you are going to need it.

...---... (SOS)
        Last edited by Sunking; 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

As luck would have it, I met a retired NASA electrical engineer when I was purchasing my solar gear.
          I bought a Canadian made Rolls AGM, imagine, made in Canada.
          He understood my variable needs as he's a recreational mariner with his own solar array.
          I bought him coffee and he came up with three different scenarios to meet my electrical needs.
          I chose the simplest, which turned out to be of mid expense and now have the battery installed.
          He reviewed the posts here and found some to be myopically obsessive and bombastic.
          Funny how things work out for the best.
          Cheers.

Comment

Keep us posted both on the system you finally chose and how it works out. Curious to see what set up u went with and how it performs / performed .
            285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBell View Post
              He reviewed the posts here and found some to be myopically obsessive and bombastic.
              Funny how things work out for the best.
              Cheers.
              Opinions vary.

Comment

Working...
              X