Question on income tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on income tax

My first year with earnings from my panels. Here are the facts. I am with TVA's GPP program, I have a residential system, not commercial. My power is fed directly into the grid and becomes a credit against my electric bill. Last year I produced a surplus amount of power resulting in my receiving a check for about $400. The question is, Do I pay income tax on this money? I asked my electric company and they didn't know, I asked TVA and they didn't know. Can anyone give me any advice, other than hire a lawyer?

Find a CPA. All will be made clear for a fee. Free advice on a forum from what are de facto anonymous sources is hardly reliable. You get what you pay for (or less).

Comment

Looked at that. it is cheaper to simply pay the taxes than to pay a CPA.

Comment

Originally posted by leww View Post
        Looked at that. it is cheaper to simply pay the taxes than to pay a CPA.
        I'd respectfully point out that both of those two options are probably fraught with less uncertainty than anonymous advice from a chat room.

TVA and your POCO have opinions but have nothing to gain and perhaps something to lose by sharing them.

In similar situations I check and study the tax code, keep in mind that fortune favors the bold and slaughters the uninformed, take my best shot, and plan on taking my check book and my accountant to any IRS audit.

But that's just me.

Comment

Did they issue you a 1099 or any kind of statement for tax purposes?

Comment

No they told me they only gave out 1099's for commercial systems

Comment

I'll probably just pay the taxes also I very much appreciate the advice about ignoring info posted on websites. I will follow that also.

Comment

Income is taxable even without a 1099. Line 21, other reportable income. Verify with a tax professional your circumstances, as a disclaimer

Comment

Thks I am listing all checks I receive as other income

Comment

I tend toward the aggressive when it becomes to not paying income taxes. I treat my NEM credit as a reduction of expense. In a business sense it would net against a legitimat business expense. I understand that your situation is not a business. I also do not list all the checks I receive as income because some of those are reimbursements. The above is not advice, it is just one opinion from an anonymous online source.
                    Last edited by Ampster; 01-28-2019, 12:25 PM.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

You have plenty of experiences in your solar install and hardware to offset the income.....I wouldn't claim it and use the old saying it is better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.....haha....good luck....

I think you could justify it later if needed in supporting paper work to your tax filing.

But you are more likely to get caught doing this then illegally crossing the boarder.

Comment

Working...
                      X