Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmk9785e
    • Jul 2016

What's involved in adding more panels?

I have a 16 panel (LG320N1C-G4) system with SE5000 inverter installed and operational since Nov 2016. Because of some shading issues, I need to add 2 additional panels and their optimizers for more capacity. At true-up time,I learned that my net annual consumption was 2,240kWh.
    What would be a reasonable cost for this addition?
    Should I go with my original installer or price shop?
    Would I need PGE approval for this addition?
    Would I need a City permit for it?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Opinions:

1.)One way to consider reasonable extra cost is to first figure out how much of that 2,240 kWh/yr. 2*320 STC W panels will offset. The next task is to figure out how much you'll save by adding 2 more (320 W ?) panels, which, if you SWAG a ratio 18/16 = ~ 13 % more annual output, or maybe (320*2*1.65) = ~ 1,056 kWh/yr. more kWh/yr. from the system. If you're on T.O.U, that can be more challenging the tighter you want that est. Anyway, once you get that est. of annual additional savings, the scattergun SWAG on how much more to spend might be something like 5 or 6 times those annual additional savings.

Toughest part for most folks seems to be in getting a reasonable estimate for how much the extra generation is worth on an annual basis, particularly, and only made more difficult by the switch to T.O.U.

After that, the NPV of the additional savings can be a challenge, but that's somewhat whitewashed by using that 5 or 6 times the annual savings number.

Bottom line: You will pay more/STC W to add to the system than you paid per W for the original system.

2.) If you were happy with the original installer, why would you switch horses in mid stream ? Besides, IMO, price shopping to save what's likely to be a few bucks may wind up being counterproductive.

3.) Probably not as long as the size increase is < 1 kW or <10 % of original system size. Call POCO to confirm.

4.) Check with the AHJ and ask. Only takes a phone call.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

Since your already maxed out on the inverter (16*320=5120) adding to panels may not give you much of an increase in output. They will help in morning or late afternoon when the system isn't full producing but in the high production times would be clipped off by the inverter being maxed out. So that may also mean replacing the inverter. Is your power panel maxed out too? Larger inverter may mean replacing it. So there is no real way for us to give you a idea of what it takes or costs without the details of your system that the original installer would know. Unless there is some reason why you are unhappy with him that is who I would advise you go with.

Most likely you will need a building permit and a new net metering/interconnection agreement with the power company.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

The SE 5000 is rated to take up to 7750 STC watts. Very likely you'll see clipping with an array of this size but as far as STC input 5120 is likely to be considered under paneled or light.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• rmk9785e
          • Jul 2016

SolarEdge confirmed that SE5000 is maxed out. My original installer has proposed adding 4 panels, optimizers and swapping out the SE5000 with SE7600 for a total cost of $2K. They are assuring me that new permit or utility (PG&E) approval is not required. Is that experience of others in California? The proposed agreement states that it is their responsibility to verify and obtain any required approvals & permits.
          We're debating the location of the additional panels. The solar shading analysis they produced using Aurora tools is using imaging that is at least 1 year old since we had some large trees removed last year. How often does Aurora update its imagery? Is BrightHarvest any more accurate?

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by rmk9785e
            We're debating the location of the additional panels. The solar shading analysis they produced using Aurora tools is using imaging that is at least 1 year old since we had some large trees removed last year. How often does Aurora update its imagery? Is BrightHarvest any more accurate?
            you can take photos that show the removed trees and house as reference from a few different angles and they can make the changes to the Aurora layout.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

SolarEdge confirmed that SE5000 is maxed out. My original installer has proposed adding 4 panels, optimizers and swapping out the SE5000 with SE7600 for a total cost of $2K. They are assuring me that new permit or utility (PG&E) approval is not required. Is that experience of others in California? The proposed agreement states that it is their responsibility to verify and obtain any required approvals & permits.
              I believe you may be limited to a 10 % increase in size by CPUC requirements/statutes before (re)permitting hassles. I'd assume nothing and call the POCO.

Comment

• rmk9785e
                • Jul 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal

you can take photos that show the removed trees and house as reference from a few different angles and they can make the changes to the Aurora layout.
                Thank you. I sent them the photos.

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                I believe you may be limited to a 10 % increase in size by CPUC requirements/statutes before (re)permitting hassles. I'd assume nothing and call the POCO.
                Thank you. I'll do that in the morning.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

SolarEdge confirmed that SE5000 is maxed out. My original installer has proposed adding 4 panels, optimizers and swapping out the SE5000 with SE7600 for a total cost of $2K.
                  If they are upgrading you to a SE7600H it is a really good deal
                  You could ask how much extra to get the SE7600H with built in EV charger (if you wanted an EV charger).

Comment

• rmk9785e
                    • Jul 2016

If they are upgrading you to a SE7600H it is a really good deal
                    You could ask how much extra to get the SE7600H with built in EV charger (if you wanted an EV charger).
                    I was mistaken. They were upgrading me to SE7000 and 4 LG320N1C-G4 panels for $2,000. I've inquired and they will charge an additional $300 for the SE7600H model however it is confusing that SolarEdge has the same model number (SE7600H-US) for both the EV charging one and the one without EV charging. Solaredge support also says that the non-EV charging one cannot be upgraded to EV charging. One would think it would be some add-on module.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

I was mistaken. They were upgrading me to SE7000 and 4 LG320N1C-G4 panels for $2,000. I've inquired and they will charge an additional $300 for the SE7600H model however it is confusing that SolarEdge has the same model number (SE7600H-US) for both the EV charging one and the one without EV charging. Solaredge support also says that the non-EV charging one cannot be upgraded to EV charging. One would think it would be some add-on module.
                      what country are you in? there isn't an SE7000 in the US model line.

the EV charger is integrated in the unit so it is not upgradable.

Comment

• Ben25
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2014

There is (was?) a se7000 single phase in the US. 7000w at 277v 6000w at 240v, 5200w at 208v.

what country are you in? there isn't an SE7000 in the US model line.

the EV charger is integrated in the unit so it is not upgradable.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ben25
                          There is (was?) a se7000 single phase in the US. 7000w at 277v 6000w at 240v, 5200w at 208v.
                          So OP is getting upgraded to a USED inverter?

BTW, the SE6000H is rated at 6000w at 240V and 5000w at 208V

They had an SE7K but it was 3 phase small commercial.

Comment

• Ben25
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

The only data sheet I can find was from 2012, could be newer than that though. It has an AC/DC disconnect on the front, haven't seen one of those for at least 3-4 years.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ben25
                              The only data sheet I can find was from 2012, could be newer than that though. It has an AC/DC disconnect on the front, haven't seen one of those for at least 3-4 years.
                              all the residential units are HDWave now except for the StorEdge which is SE7600A based still.
                              That SE7000A-US is pretty old, I sure hope the OP is not being UPGRADED to that.

Comment

Working...