Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morgandc
    • Feb 2015

Hydro Turbines

I am doing some research on hydro turbines, does anyone have any experience with them?

I have been researching and it appears that it may be a realistic option for me. Right now the stream is running 60GPM and has 30-50ft of drop depending on how much I want to interfere with my nature scene. Leaning towards the 30', but perhaps I should just seasonally move it I have more exact drop calculations to do. Energy potential rule of thumb is ((Height in ft x GPM )/ 12) * 24 hours is the KWh per day.

Currently looking at the Harris Hydro Turbine and the Powerspout.
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

Hydro can be a good off grid option as it runs 24hrs a day.

But! make sure you do a complete system design and all performance calculations properly before spending any money.

They can be low maintenance but are not maintenance free, the water intake can block and as they spin 24/7 they dont last for ever.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Site power potential (in W) = fluid density X fluid flow rate X acceleration due to gravity X total head available.

Actual power = potential power X system efficiency.

60 GPM = 0.0038 m^3/sec = fluid flow rate.
      fluid density = 1000 kg/m^3
      acceleration due to gravity = 9.81 m/sec^2
      total head avail. =, say, 30ft. = 9.14 m.

Site potential = (0.0038)*(1000)*(9.81)*(9.14) = 340 W

A microhydroturbine might operate at ~ 50 % efficiency. Provided the rest of the system losses can be kept small, 60 GPM over a 30 ft. drop might get you about 150 W or so, maybe a bit more, or about (150)/(24) = 3.6 kW/day or so if the flow is steady state. Potential power up or down is proportional the flowrate and available head.

At those flowrates and head, that's probably something like about a buck/day against the cost of grid power.

See U.S. dept. of energy, "Planning a Microhydropower System".

If you want to get the real story, also see : ASME, Power Test code 18. I designed some equipment for a low head site long ago and PTC 18 applied, but that was for a municipality. Lots of fun, but not as practical as most already developed sites with higher potential head. That you have so much available head makes me wonder about siting/permitting restrictions that may pop up.

Don't be too surprised if you run into permitting and siting issues with the powers that be. Just sayin".

Comment

• morgandc
        • Feb 2015

I should have clarified... I am off grid, nearest pole just under a mile away and the rough quote from the power company that came back said to enjoy being off grid

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by morgandc
          I should have clarified... I am off grid, nearest pole just under a mile away and the rough quote from the power company that came back said to enjoy being off grid
          Then put 3 or 4 kWh of perhaps a reasonably reliable hydro source into the mix and use it only for tasks that only electricity can do. Use fossil fuel or wood for all tasks, particularly those that involve heat such as water and space heating. PV may get you more power, but it'll probably be a less reliable source.

How long have you been living off grid ? Or did you not know getting grid power, or any power for that matter, might be costly ?

Edit: Forget the question. Went back to your prior posts.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...