Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnj6370
    • Jul 2016

3 pv wired in series

I have been running 2-250watt 60cell panels wired in series to a MPPT renogy 40amp commandeer to feed a 24v battery bank. So today I picked up another 250/60cell panel. Voc on each of the panels are 37 & max solar input on CC is 150VDC. So am I fine wiring 3 in series? And when I get my 4th
    panel I will have no choice but to wire 2 in series and the other 2 in series then parallel them into the CC???
    Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated ?
    Last edited by Jnj6370; 12-10-2017, 02:57 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The Voc is not a "fixed" "rigid" voltage. It varys with temperature. The Voc is measured around 72F, and when panels are colder (pre dawn) their Voc gets a bit higher.

Generally, you go to the String Sizer template for your Charge Controller, and enter your site's historic low temp, and the panels, and you will get a temperature corrected Voc, that you then use to decide 2, 3, or 4 panels in series.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Jnj6370
      I have been running 2-250watt 60cell panels wired in series to a MPPT renogy 40amp commandeer to feed a 24v battery bank. So today I picked up another 250/60cell panel. Voc on each of the panels are 37 & max solar input on CC is 150VDC. So am I fine wiring 3 in series? And when I get my 4th
      panel I will have no choice but to wire 2 in series and the other 2 in series then parallel them into the CC???
      Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated ?
      Unless you live in a cold climate, if you did have no biz going solar, Voc calc is super easy. For a 150 Voc input controller, just keep the panel total Voc to 120 volts or less. No reason to make it any more complicated than that.

I will make it super easy on you very little thought is required. With a 24 volt battery with your panels and controller the minimum number of panels in series is 2, max is 3. Take your pick. The number of panels you have will make the decision. With 3 panels you only get one choice as it has already been made for you.

Well actually with 3 panels you get two choices with a Prime Number. All in parallel or all in series. All in parallel will not work except on a 12 volt battery system, and at 12 volts is more wattage than you controler can handle.

Easy pick 3 in series and call it done. Even if you lived on the arctic circle, 3 panels is the only answer. You have no other option. As for the 4th panel all depends on the Voc. If it is 30 volts or less, you can likely go all 4 in series if you live south of I-40. Otherwise 2S2P which is fine.
      Last edited by Sunking; 12-10-2017, 03:43 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Jnj6370
        • Jul 2016

Thanks for the super easy answer.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Jnj6370
          Thanks for the super easy answer.
          You are welcome.