Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watt volts and amps question

Hi,

I just can not wrap my head around this. So...
    12V x 1A = 12watts and 24V x .5A = 12watts Ohms law right.

Are the amps in the second equation worth more or have more power behind them. I mean if amps is the measure of electrons passing a given point in one second then how
    do they provide the same power to the load if have as many pass in a 24 volt system????

Thanks in advance.
    Go Green

The current quantity in the second equation has more (2X as much) potential difference pushing it along.

Think of Amperage as analogous to the flowrate of water, and Voltage as the water pressure or water column height ("head"). More water flow X more pressure (height = head)) = more potential power.

Consult a textbook in elementary electronics or a high school general science text for more details.

Comment

A car engine might be another analogy. An engine can run at a fast rpm with a low manifold pressure, or a lower rpm with a high manifold pressure, and deliver the same power to the transmission. In one case the piston is pushing gently on a fast-turning crankshaft, and in the other it is pushing hard on a slow-turning crankshaft. The transmission converts both scenarios to the same power at the driveshaft.

Comment

Thx,
        I think i am starting to understand. in the second equation half as many electrons are moving but they are being pushed with a stronger force ? A Mack truck pulling a load of solar panels vs a Tacoma.

Michael
        go green

Comment

Originally posted by Mbjah808 View Post
          Thx,
          I think i am starting to understand. in the second equation half as many electrons are moving but they are being pushed with a stronger force ? A Mack truck pulling a load of solar panels vs a Tacoma.

Michael
          go green
          try a science book that covers electricity.

Comment

That's a good analogy. It might make it easier to look at the load side. 1 amp through 12 ohms is 12 watts, and 1/2 amp through 48 ohms is also 12 watts. Both generate the same 12 watts worth of of heat.

EDIT: Corrected, thanks Bruce!
            Last edited by sdold; 11-30-2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X