Renewables for Puerto Rico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewables for Puerto Rico?

As Puerto Rico rebuilds their power grid what role will renewables play?
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...age#gs.3bDUBHE
    12V 12W panel, SolarEpic Tracer4215BN, 12V 18Ah

Originally posted by Richiep View Post
    As Puerto Rico rebuilds their power grid what role will renewables play?
    Probably a small role - but larger than in the past. I suspect we will see more microgrids (Tesla just donated one to a hospital) and more PV installations with local backup.

But most of the work will go towards rebuilding the existing grid, which is based on coal, hydro, natural gas and fuel oil (diesel generators.)

Comment

Until someone can build a large solar array that can be protected from high winds and debris I would expect most RE would not be that type. But wind turbines may be something to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Until someone can build a large solar array that can be protected from high winds and debris I would expect most RE would not be that type. But wind turbines may be something to look into.
        Well:

1) You can design to survive any given kind of weather; the only barrier is cost. (i.e. most people won't pay the premium to design for 180mph winds.)

2) Even if you do damage a few panels the system still works. Example:
        ================================================== ===============
        Puerto Rico Farm Survives Hurricane Maria With Solar Panels
        BY BRIAN SPAEN
        Reuters

Six years ago, horticulturist Hector Santiago invested $300,000 in solar energy for his Barranquitas farm. 244 solar panels generate power for the greenhouse plants he takes care of. Its a large array of solar panels, but it was needed for the 2500 plus light bulbs that are used to maximize growth in his greenhouses.

'Everybody told me I was crazy because it was so expensive. Now I have power and they don't.' While spending well into six figures for solar panels is extremely pricey, he was able to get some of that money back by selling excess energy to the grid. He also does a lot of business with local shops, Caribbean stores, and wholesale outlets.

While the hurricane damaged his facility and destroyed some of his garden, he was quickly able to recover thanks to power pumping water from two wells on the property. Nearly a quarter of his solar array was destroyed in the storm, but there was enough to keep the plants growing and the water flowing.
        ================================================== =================
        Last edited by jflorey2; 10-30-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          Well:

1) You can design to survive any given kind of weather; the only barrier is cost. (i.e. most people won't pay the premium to design for 180mph winds.)

2) Even if you do damage a few panels the system still works. Example:
          ================================================== ===============
          Puerto Rico Farm Survives Hurricane Maria With Solar Panels
          BY BRIAN SPAEN
          Reuters

Six years ago, horticulturist Hector Santiago invested $300,000 in solar energy for his Barranquitas farm. 244 solar panels generate power for the greenhouse plants he takes care of. Its a large array of solar panels, but it was needed for the 2500 plus light bulbs that are used to maximize growth in his greenhouses.

'Everybody told me I was crazy because it was so expensive. Now I have power and they don't.' While spending well into six figures for solar panels is extremely pricey, he was able to get some of that money back by selling excess energy to the grid. He also does a lot of business with local shops, Caribbean stores, and wholesale outlets.

While the hurricane damaged his facility and destroyed some of his garden, he was quickly able to recover thanks to power pumping water from two wells on the property. Nearly a quarter of his solar array was destroyed in the storm, but there was enough to keep the plants growing and the water flowing.
          ================================================== =================
          I agree if you pump enough money into a project you can harden it to withstand a hurricane.

Although you would have expected that to have happened to the large array installed in Puerto Rico which based on the pictures seemed to have a much larger % of panels being removed or damaged by the wind.

Solar works well in some places but if you want to go with RE you need a more diverse selection of power sources. Being an island provides more options like wind and wave motion so if you are going to invest in RE power generation they should go all out and look into multiple sources like Hawaii is.

Comment

they should go all out and look into multiple sources like Hawaii is.
            Yeah? What is Hawaii up to?
            12V 12W panel, SolarEpic Tracer4215BN, 12V 18Ah

Comment

From what I have read they will be installing; wind turbines, solar, batteries, waste to electric technology and geothermal, along with researching in wave motion technology. Pretty much the entire RE gambit.

Comment

It's not hard to design them to be resilient. In fact, they already have.

http://www.sunwindenergy.com/photovo...many-buildings

Comment

Simple getting ripped off. They will pay the highest electric rates in the world which will chase jobs out of the state.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    ...... which will chase jobs out of the state.
                    surfing is a job
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

surfing is a job
                      Ha ha ha ha ha ... Yes it is, for the fit and flexible.
                      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post

It's not hard to design them to be resilient. In fact, they already have.

http://www.sunwindenergy.com/photovo...many-buildings
                        You are correct it is not really difficult to harden a solar pv array. The barrier is usually the increased cost which most people do not want to pay and the result is a less hardened system where most arrays suffer from wind blown debris that breaks the panels.

The proof is seen in Texas from Harvey, Florida from Irma and Puerto Rico from Maria, where a large number of panels were damaged or simply uprooted from the high winds.

Comment

My former employer made 100 KW wind turbines rated for arctic conditions and have had several wind turbines that have gone through hurricanes. They can be made pretty darn bullet proof, they just cost more. It all comes down to first cost versus long term cost. Hard to beat diesel generators for up front cost but long term operating cost is steep.

A factor folks dont take into account is theft of power. I work with someone who does power plants in the Caribbean. Most utilities have very high power leakage due to unauthorized connections. In any area there is always a few folks who will gladly climb a pole and hook up power or rig the meter so it wont spin. The government authorities usually look the other way as they have other far more serious issues to deal with. Unfortunately someone gets holding the bag and its usually the utility. PR has the long term reputation that there are plenty of pockets to be lined with any projects and the attitude is that they know that if things get bad enough Uncle Sam will bail them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                            surfing is a job
                            Yeah so is growing ganja, and Hawaii is known to grow some of the best. Almost as good as where I live in Panama RED country.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                            X